Peas

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
I just put my peas to soak and will plant them in plugs tomorrow to sprout.

I can't wait for peas. Mmmm.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You guys soak your peas? :idunno I didn't last year, just pretty much threw them in the ground lol. We had so much snow I didn't think anything would sprout so I tilled the old plot garden under, and in April I had peas sprouting all over the place. I had to rehome them to the trellis LOL.

I just planted about 20ft of peas this afternoon.

ETA: Omg! I just checked the weather network and we're supposed to get snowed on for the next week and a half!!! Sigh, I'm going to have to try and find the money to buy more poly now. :( this sucks, I planted today because earlier it said we were getting average weather for the last bit of the month.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah me too, last year i didnt soak my peas i might try that this year.

boyd

Sprout
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
You guys soak your peas? :idunno I didn't last year, just pretty much threw them in the ground lol. We had so much snow I didn't think anything would sprout so I tilled the old plot garden under, and in April I had peas sprouting all over the place. I had to rehome them to the trellis LOL.

ETA: Omg! I just checked the weather network and we're supposed to get snowed on for the next week and a half!!! Sigh, I'm going to have to try and find the money to buy more poly now. :( this sucks, I planted today because earlier it said we were getting average weather for the last bit of the month.
couldn't you cover your area with a plastic till the snow went away again?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
TerryLacie, you live just a stone's throw from my gardens :frow. But, other folks may have this lovely plant in their landscaping. We have it growing all around us! It is the Oregon Grape, Mahonia.

I use the flowering of the Oregon Grape to tell me when to plant peas - especially, those English shell peas with their wrinkly seed. That wrinkling shows that the seed is full of sugar rather than starch. The Univ. of Minnesota tells me that peas can take over a month to germinate when the soil temperature is down around 40F. That's a long time for "sugar" to be in the ground without bacteria and such starting to eat on it.

Snow peas (for pea pods) are not wrinkled and grow well for me under all sorts of circumstances. But, I wait to see the flower buds on the Oregon Grape begin to open for the others.

Oregon Grape is related to barberry, an even more common landscape plant. I don't know if they flower at the same time but should pay attention to that this year.

. . . just my 2 :).

Steve

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
boyd said:
lupinfarm said:

couldn't you cover your area with a plastic till the snow went away again?
I just covered my two pea beds in plastic. I already have a polytunnel over the carrot bed. Its only supposed to be like a maximum of around 8cm, so not a lot... it'll melt off pretty quickly. Just annoying! I'll just throw some hot water bottles under the plastic the day of.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Funny, now that I'm planting peas I notice everybody else doing it too! ;)

terrielacy

Leafing Out
Administrator
Reaction score
It is still cold here, but I am thinking I might be able to get cool weather stuff in by the first or mid April if I get them started in the house.

I have been turning the garden soil with a pitchfork and it is getting nice and deeply soft and crumbly.

I love Oregon grape! When we used to go camping all the time (when I was young enough to sleep my old bones on the ground) we used to gather and make campfire cobbler with the berries.

Latest posts