Pecan Pie

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like I keep posting about things I have no experience with today!*
Mary, maybe the egg whites were beaten separately from the rest and folded in? Also fresher eggs will beat the highest...that shouldn't be a problem with you haveing your own fresh eggs available!

*okay, I actually have made pecan pie, but it's been many years and I'm certainly not a pie expert.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As a pie consumer (yes I said consumer ;) ) I think they may have waited to add the pecans so the mixture thickened up enough then sprinkled them on top. That would ensure the filling was thick enough (which also probably made it VERY rich) to support the pecans. Just a random thought

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Every time I have made pecan pie, the pecans were mixed into the filling and rose to the top during baking, I have never had a pecan pie where the pecans were scattered all the way through the filling (maybe it's a southern thing) and the filling has always gotten thicker the longer it was allowed to set in the fridge. Now I did make a chocolate pecan pie that never did set, but I think I overdid it on the chocolate! There have been many pecan pies eaten at my house before they set and were still runny, but no one complained......... :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let me clarify my position. I've never made a pecan pie, the only dessert I've ever made was out of a box and all I had to do was add some water and and egg. I have no idea I don't make them. I was just thinking out loud so please don't think I know what I'm talking about. My mother in law makes one heck of a pecan pie and its got pecans pretty much throughout but then again its not very tall. I do my best work on the grill. Dessert? Im the first to admit is above my pay grade.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pecan I had years ago did NOT have the pecans running through. They were just on the top, but the filling was very high and "set". It was so delicious. I wished I had thought to ask for the recipe or how they made it. But back then, I was young and what did I know! :rolleyes:

Mary

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
I love pecan pies! I hate the crust! I bake my pecans for about 15 minutes on a cookie sheet 1st. I mix pecans in with all the rest of ingredients. When pie is finished cooking, the pecans are always on top.

easy-crustless-pecan-pie

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
6 eggs
2 tbsp butter (or non-dairy substitute), melted
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans

Mix all ingredients in greased pie plate. Bake in a preheated 325-degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 minutes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
digitS' said:
...I'm no good at making a crust, ...digitS'
Time to start making that crust if you're gonna make a pie!! I'm a pie maker and I "grin and bear it" when somebody offers me pie with a bought, frozen crust--GOTTA be fresh. Here's how~
single crust
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
salt to taste--yes, taste it after you've mixed in the flour
Some pie recipes taste better with a salty crust
5-7 tablespoons icy water
In the summer I put ice cubes in my water to keep the shortening firm
Mix by hand until it resembles coarse oatmeal
IMPORTANT: Roll out between sheets of wax paper. If you add more flour like you do when you're rolling and pounding out bread dough you'll make your pie crust into biscuits.
I double this for a double crust, but most recipe books tell you this amount is for 3 crusts. Basically its 1:3, shortening:flour.
Re: fillings
Haven't made a pecan pie BUT I make lots of cherry pies. Made one saturday from tart cherries that I had canned. Cornstarch thickens pie fillings. I've found that you have to stand at the stove stirring constantly, and give the filling time to thicken on medium heat. BE CAREFUL!! It's tempting to taste it but it is REALLY hot bc of the sugar. Pecan pie is like cherry pie in that you create a "candy" around the fruit. Hope this helps. I think I'm ready to try a pecan pie!!
BTW, I had heard that there was a poor pecan harvest this last year. Hopes for a better harvest in 2012. :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, that is my recipe almost exactly. I did learn a helpful tip, though. In place of 1 or 2 TBS of cold water, you can use white vinegar. This keeps the crust super flaky and easier to work with- and you cannot taste the vinegar. Apple pie is Dh's favorite. Every time I make him a pie, I tease him and tell him my next husband is going to learn to like brownies!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys are tempting me! I'm trying to watch my carbs and sugar but I'm thinking I have to try that recipe from texas and crust from ducks4you. Will be busy this weekend, maybe after that. :)

Mary

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ok, now I know you are asking for a pecan pie recipe, but I have a FANTASTIC pecan pie bars recipe...I don't like pecans and this is fabulous. I love it. ANd for those that don't like crust, this only has kind OF bottom crust but it is so good. It is very much like pecan pie. It is thick too. Just in case anyone wants to try it, here is the recipe:

Pecan Pie Bars

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine

Filling:
5 large eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecan pieces ( I use the really small pieces like for cookies)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. recipe for a lightly greased 13X9 pan.

For crust: COmbine crust ingredients and cut butter into flour mix until resembles coarse crumbles. Press mixture into bottom of 13X9 pan.
Bake for 10 minutes.
While crust is baking, mix filling.

Filling: blend all filling ingredients together (except for pecans) till the color of butterscotch. Stir in pecan pieces.
Remove crust from oven and pour filling over hot crust.

Lower oven temperature to 275 degrees and bake until center is set. About 70 minutes. Center may seem a little soft but will set as it cools. Cool completly before cutting.

Enjoy,
Christie :D

Latest posts