Peonies for Memorial Day

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Traditionally in these parts of the country the peonies are blooming for Memorial Day. Most of mine are not open. Yet a few did cooperate!
055.JPG
060.JPG
058.JPG

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful Carol Dee! Mine are buds right now I shall take a picture tomorrow. What zone are you in please? Just curious. Oops just read your profile 4 or 5 depending on map, newbie error.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's okay, @CrazyFeathers. Mine are mere buds right now, too, just big enough to start showing their color. Carol claims to be in zone 4/5, but she is a bit south of us. Since all my peonies are away from buildings they take longer to open than those growing closer to a foundation.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's okay, @CrazyFeathers. Mine are mere buds right now, too, just big enough to start showing their color. Carol claims to be in zone 4/5, but she is a bit south of us. Since all my peonies are away from buildings they take longer to open than those growing closer to a foundation.
Exactly. The only ones open are planted against the house.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend I had one of the tree peonies bloom ( 2 out of 3 alive ) big yellow flower. The others not even near bud stage yet, everything way behind cause of late spring.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have different varieties that can have different bloom times, but where you set them does make difference. I got a peony from a friend last year and split it. One part went on the south side of the house, next to a brick wall. Plenty of heat from that. The other was out in the open. That one was about 2-1/2 weeks later than the one next to that warm brick wall. Both are done by now but had gorgeous large pink blooms.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's on my list NYboy! Or an Itoh. Or both!!

I saw a really interesting peony at the nursery a few weeks back that had foliage like I've never seen on a peony before, but they only had one and for some reason I was behaving myself and sticking to my customer list. I didn't see it yesterday. Darn, I was so prepared to be bad, and it was a yellow one, which is my favorite.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's on my list NYboy! Or an Itoh. Or both!!

I saw a really interesting peony at the nursery a few weeks back that had foliage like I've never seen on a peony before, but they only had one and for some reason I was behaving myself and sticking to my customer list. I didn't see it yesterday. Darn, I was so prepared to be bad, and it was a yellow one, which is my favorite.
Prepared to be bad !!! LOL ;) Me too.