Peppers 2023

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
With frost in the forecast, I harvested all of the "Djuric Tomato Pepper". Unnoticed by me, mice had destroyed most of the lower ones; but fortunately, still plenty of good ones left. Gave some away, opened some for seed, and this is what's left. This is another of the cream-to-orange-to-red pimento peppers from the Baltics. Not as sweet as "Tennessee Cheese", but larger, heavier, and a darker red. These really do look a lot like tomatoes when fully ripe.
20231008_130344.jpg

20231004_161721.jpg

The family that was the O/S for this variety contacted me a couple years ago. They had lost all of their seed in a move, and were asking if I could send them some so they could grow their family's pepper again (which I did). It's always fulfilling to be able to return seed to the originator, and to see preservation at work.

Frost possible tonight; all remaining peppers are covered, and should be safe. But with a major rain event arriving Thursday night through Saturday,, I'll be harvesting at least all of the ripe peppers for seed before then, just to be safe.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
With frost in the forecast, I harvested all of the "Djuric Tomato Pepper". Unnoticed by me, mice had destroyed most of the lower ones; but fortunately, still plenty of good ones left.

interesting as i don't think i've ever seen mice damage to peppers - but then i've not mulched them either.

Gave some away, opened some for seed, and this is what's left. This is another of the cream-to-orange-to-red pimento peppers from the Baltics. Not as sweet as "Tennessee Cheese", but larger, heavier, and a darker red. These really do look a lot like tomatoes when fully ripe.
View attachment 61362
View attachment 61363

i do like the more simple bottom shape of those as then they are not a spider home or down so low.

The family that was the O/S for this variety contacted me a couple years ago. They had lost all of their seed in a move, and were asking if I could send them some so they could grow their family's pepper again (which I did). It's always fulfilling to be able to return seed to the originator, and to see preservation at work.

nice to have that happen. :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few days ago I harvested a bunch of small Piazinho and Grandpa's Siberian Home chili peppers. I threw lots of them (both red and green) in a jar with some garlic to ferment, and I would like to save seed from a few of the really ripe red ones that are left. They are very small peppers, about an inch long and fairly dry given the warm weather that we have been having; many of them are already beginning to shrink and shrivel. Do you think it would work to just air dry these peppers whole, and then save them to use either for seed or for cooking?

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_083416732.jpg
    IMG_20231009_083416732.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20231009_083731311.jpg
    IMG_20231009_083731311.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20231009_083526307.jpg
    IMG_20231009_083526307.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 75

Neen5MI

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Of course they will contribute. It is often a mix that makes a more interesting flavor profile anyway. Sambal Oelek may have a classic recipe but I rock it my way with the peppers my garden gives me and no one complains.
Thank you for that! I have since dried them and look forward to experimenting with them.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for that! I have since dried them and look forward to experimenting with them.
I have boiled dried peppers and run them through the tomato press for pepper sauce and they bring their unique flavor different from fresh. I like to mix dried peppers. I guess you can boil them separately too so the final cooled blend has more unique flavor profiles. There you have me on another batch...my wife says hi!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have boiled dried peppers and run them through the tomato press for pepper sauce and they bring their unique flavor different from fresh. I like to mix dried peppers. I guess you can boil them separately too so the final cooled blend has more unique flavor profiles. There you have me on another batch...my wife says hi!

do you ever roast or fry them first? i like a bit of char flavor on many things and peppers included.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
With a frost predicted, I pulled or cut the uncaged "Thai Giant" and "Aji Cristal" hot peppers.

20231011_155057.jpg

"Thai Giant" (C. annuum). Medium heat, thin walls, dries easily. Good for chili powder. The plants are diminutive, but highly productive - this would be a good one for pots.

20231022_142512.jpg 20231022_142529.jpg
"Aji Cristal"(C. baccatum). Ripens cream - orange- red; glossy & almost wax-like when ripe. Moderate heat, medium-thick fleshy walls, reliably productive. This is an excellent pepper for hot (but not blazing hot) canned salsa.

I covered the serrano-like "Red Chile" peppers - with the exception of a cross in that cage, which I pulled. Pepper crosses are a legacy of when I planted cages of peppers side-by-side, with the apparently mistaken belief that there would be no crossing between covered cages (still not sure how that was occurring). I space cages more widely now.

When pepper crosses occur between two highly-productive heirlooms, the results are usually interesting, and this was no exception:
20231011_141335.jpg 20231011_141558.jpg
"Red Chile" cross... apparently with another pimento-like hot pepper cross I was trying to stabilize. This sprawling, heavily-branched, 36" plant took over almost 1/2 of the 9' cage - and was heavily loaded. These separate easily from the stem when when ripe, and look like jalapenos, but they are not... WAY hotter!!! Which I knew even before I tasted one, based upon how even the voles (which will devour jalapenos) were just eating around the outside. I tasted just a piece cut off the end, beyond the seeds - and Wow!!! Glad I didn't take a bigger bite. Somewhere between jalapeno & habanero heat.

I don't usually save pepper crosses (or crosses in general) because the F2 generation would be unstable & highly variable. I'm saving some seed for these though, because anything resulting from this cross would be interesting... especially for someone who likes hot peppers.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few days ago I harvested a bunch of small Piazinho and Grandpa's Siberian Home chili peppers. I threw lots of them (both red and green) in a jar with some garlic to ferment, and I would like to save seed from a few of the really ripe red ones that are left. They are very small peppers, about an inch long and fairly dry given the warm weather that we have been having; many of them are already beginning to shrink and shrivel. Do you think it would work to just air dry these peppers whole, and then save them to use either for seed or for cooking?
Sorry for the delayed response, I guess I missed that post. My recommendation for drying hot peppers - especially habanero-type, which those appear to be - is to cut them in half (wearing thick or chemical-resistant plastic gloves) and dry them cut side up. This allows them to dry faster, and minimizes the chance of mold. I've dried small peppers whole (including the "Thai Giant" which I grew again this year) and some of them got moldy inside. Which is not very appetizing, since you can't see the mold, and might grind - and eat - some without knowing it. :eek: Cut open, any mold which does form can be discarded. That also improves seed quality, since moldy seed is unlikely to germinate.

Drying hot peppers in this manner can also make seed saving easier. Place the dried halves in a lidded jar, close tightly, and shake. Shake gently at first, watching for seeds to separate. Strain or winnow (outside, with goggles!!!) to separate the seeds from the pepper chaff, and save the chaff for grinding into high-quality powder. Getting seed from hot peppers this way can potentially save one from getting those toxic "pepper fingers". :)

Latest posts