Pet adds

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in Eugene, Or. , this morning I was reading " The Register-Guard " newspaper and happened to see the "Pets, Supplies, Services " section of this newspaper. There was S E V E N T E E N adds for 15 purebred and 2 crossbred dogs listed. Also, ONE " NOTICE" add to " use caution when offering free pets and be assured they are going to caring homes. There are cases where pets were acquired solely for research or gaming.... " While in the Vancouver , Wa. / Portland, Or. area papers one would be hard pressed to find 1 or 2 adds for purebred dogs in a month, while there are numerous adds with photos and sob stories by the "rescue shelters" as well as multiple stories for the merits of adopting rescue pets as well as to donate / volunteer to these " rescue groups". Bleeding hearts at work !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some rescue animals never truly belong to you. I would never adopt any animal that was not absolutely mine. I looked into rescue horses once. The contracts were ridiculous, giving the so called "rescue" the right to take the horse back at any time if they deemed you unfit. Plus they cost more than just buying a horse.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are just a few examples...Mini Australian shepherd pups. Champion parents. Health guarantee. $ 250. Purebred Applehead Chihuahua pups. wormed, shots, family raised, health guarantee. $300. AKC Lab pups. Hips, OFA guaranteed. $300-$400. Purebred Persian kittens CFA , neutered, first shots, $350. etc. At the local rescue in Vancouver, Wa., You can "adopt" any mongrel of just a guess of heritage, age, or anything else. They will tell you anything that they think that you want to hear so that they can shake you down. Some will also make you undergo their vetting of you, your family not to mention your home, then if approved you have to sign a ridiculous contract that is completely in the rescue groups' favor. For the same or much more $$$s, and anything that shows up healthwise after you take it home is on your nickel. :duc

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some rescue animals never truly belong to you. I would never adopt any animal that was not absolutely mine. I looked into rescue horses once. The contracts were ridiculous, giving the so called "rescue" the right to take the horse back at any time if they deemed you unfit. Plus they cost more than just buying a horse.
Yea, this is rampant with these rescue groups. Also get this for their "rescue " tactics... In Ohio, this life long horsewoman, Nationally known breeder, Nationals show woman,who owned a top quality horse ranch with about 70 top quality horses... She was divorced, a couple years later her mother came to live with her as her health started to fail. Then her sister ( also divorsed) came down with cancer and also came to live with her as this ranch was near her cancer treatment facility. Her ranch manager quit together with some of the help. She became overwelmed and the ranch didn't look at it's best. This placed a great deal of stress on her so she hired a couple to manage the ranch and horses. Big mistake as this couple turned out to be the bleeding heart animal rights types and turned them in to a national welfare rescue group. These folks made their visits to the ranch,posing as horse buyers took photos and videos of " terrible housing and care conditions". Presented the "evidence" to a bleeding heart judge, who issues a seizure order of the horses . A long parade of horse trailers and vans show up load up and take the horses to the County Fair Grounds to house the horses, while the best of the horses were taken to several of the rescuers' farms. Then present this poor woman with a huge " bill" for transportation, feed, veterinary care, and stabling at the county facility as well as the private farms. Then these bleeding heart rescuers filed a suit to seize her ranch in order to satisfy this " bill" . With all this going on, the court case, and lawyer fees, court order to sell off the horses etc. ( the best of the horses ended up owned by some of these rescuers) she had a mental break down. This rescue group ended up with her ranch as a facility for horse rescue. Please donate $$$$s or volunteer to help care for the rescued animals. :rant

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, all I can say, some day they will answer for their deeds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm, in the state of Texas, there is no recourse with the SPCA. Once your animal is seized, it is gone forever, no matter what you do. Some states will return your animal to you if you can prove that you cleaned up your act, but not here. I absolutely despise the SPCA and would not "donate" one sweat drop off my A$$ to them. Ever. It is a money making racket based on the misery of others. Rescues operate the same way. Do they do some good deeds? yes they do. Do they engage in practically criminal activity themselves in stomping all over people in their zealous effort to "help" the animals. Yes they do. Flip a coin-good or not so good. No, I have never run afoul of the SPCA or any other rescue group.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we are back home. There has been NO add for pets in " The Columbian " ( Vancouver, Wa.) by anyone but the local" rescue" group this month. In yesterday's and today's 6" add with a photo of a dog for this group... * "ROBIN * Robin is a black white star ,3 year old 70 pound lovable, affectionate, loyal, smart , athletic three year old male neutered American Bull dog /Labrador mystery mix seeking a shared foster or adopter.His owner who is in government service must travel a lot as part of his recent assignment leaving Robin behind in care. He is seeking someone to foster part time when he travels or to provide him a permanent home. Robin is crate trained, knows multiple commands is in training, learning quickly. loves jogging , best as an only family dog. The trainer working with him is part of his adoption or foster share package." The photo shows NO star, but a blaze on his chest and 4 white feet. I see no Bulldog characteristics, just a Lab X bred mutt. The trainer thing tells me that this dog has NO training much less discipline and needs someone to be on his case all the time. In other words ... thank you for your $$$s and best of luck with this basket case. :he

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think sometimes it is helpful to view all sides of the debate before making a firm decision about what is good and bad. The people who rescue dogs spend a lot of money on the animals they get trying to fix what other people have done to them. The unfortunate truth is, most people do not take very good care of their dogs. Every single day I see pets with nails so long they are curling around, up, and threw the paw pad. Sometimes it just pierces the paw pad a quarter inch or so, sometimes it goes all the way through, up and out the other side again.

I see dogs with so many tangles that they are unable to go to the bathroom, or have their hair woven into their teeth, or can't see not because hair covers the eyes, but because they are tied shut by the hair. I see ear infections so bad that green puss is filling the ear canal. I turn bath tubs red with blood from the millions of fleas crawling on some of these dogs.

This is just a tiny fraction of what I see from dogs that have families to call home, and often times I think to myself these dogs would be better off in a shelter, or in some cases put down.

The dogs that go to rescue can go for any reason, but I can well imagine how a rescuer that gets a dog in that sort of condition would be determined not to let it happen again. If I were finding a new home for a dog, you can bet I'd be making sure the owner will bestir him/herself on behalf of the pet to at least get the nails trimmed, pay for medical treatment if necessary, and at least butt shave a long haired dog every few months if they can't be bothered to brush.

That being said, two of our dogs were puppies we bred ourselves, and two my husband brought home. One was half dead from worms and malnutrition, the other crawling with fleas and suffering from "Behavioral Issues" (Read: Owner too lazy to train dog.)

Both the dogs we brought home and the dogs we bred ourselves made great and wonderful pets. We were able to get them their Canine Good Citizens, have been active in dog sports, and done lots of fun things with our dogs. Based on the experiences I've had with my pets, I'd far rather continue breeding my own pets over buying from someone else. There is so much can be missed in the critical puppy stage before they leave the house, and frankyl the vast majority of dog people I've met skip those steps. It shows. For a lifetime.

I rarely talk about the fact that I've bred my own dogs because there is such a stigma about breeding these days. I can again see the point of view of rescuers - so many unwanted dogs! So many dogs with homes that need rescued! But the fact is, spaying, neutering, and not breeding so much isn't going to resolve the problem. The problem isn't so much lack of homes, its lack of personal responsibility.

Until people start taking care of what they have, and being responsible for the animals in their life, there will always be an abundance of dogs needing homes.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amkuska you made several very good points. What I have a problem is when resuce turns into collector ,where no home is good enough. I know clients that where turned down, there is no way resuce called their vet to see , what kind of dog owners these people are. In 30 years I think maybe 5 times a resuce group has called me about a client looking to adopt from them.

Latest posts