Pet adds

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think a lot has to do with income, our family dog went to the vet maybe 3 times in 16 years. If I found something wrong with a clients dog, they are at the vet the next day.I do see dogs with ear infections, I believe most people just don't look in the ears unless there shaking their head or bad smell. My parnter lost a 4 year old saluki having teeth cleaned, got a call dog died on table. I have 2 dogs in their teens with bad teeth, I will not risk their life with a cleaning. I tell my clients if there old dog needs to be put under for surgery then have teeth cleaned if time.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's terrible! I had my 3 year old chi's teeth cleaned with an anesthesia free dental. I'm told they are not as effective as putting them under, but she didn't need any teeth pulled and the results looked really good. I've another dog I plan to try "Leba III" on, its supposed to clean the teeth completely within 28 days of spraying it on the teeth. Have you seen that?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey ... what ever happened to giving the dog a bone to chew :hu ... the tried and true method for dogs to clean their teeth for eons and before they became dogs ... by the wolves. Recommended by my dad who was a Veterinarian. :thumbsup
Over the years,All of my purebred dogs ( Border Collie, Mc Nab , Kelpie, Australian Shepherd, Chihuahua, German Shorhair, Springer Spanial, Rottweiler, Boxers ) got bones to chew so all of their teeth were pearly white, and I never had a one with a tooth problem . :woot

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob I agree 100% with you on bones. Some how rumor was started bones and rawhides are bad for dogs. I have heard everythng from they choke to block inntestants in dogs.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most people don't do well on the weight issue:
Or on the teeth issues. (Over 70% of dogs have periodontal disease, and most of them need to see a vet for it.)
Or on a whole host of non-life-threatening medical issues. (This is why vets send you so many reminder notices)

No, like many people I don't do well on the weight issue: That's me, not my pets. I've never had an overweight cat or dog -- not with 30 acres of roaming room.

Teeth issues as well: again me, not my pets. The puppy found freezing along the road lived over 18 years, had all his teeth, and acted like a puppy even after he had a stroke at 16 and needed rehab work. The almost-euthanized-now-outside-declawed-cat is closing in on 15 with no ear, eye, or teeth problems according to her last vet visit.

Like all my pets, CeeCee sees the vet once a year for check up and shots, but usually makes 1-2 extra visits for what turns out to be minor stuff (a bee-stung swelling or paw cut from running in the alfalfa field after mowing) or her dratted fall allergies.

A dog and granddaughters' cats, they are pets and farm helpers. They are not my children, my fur babies, family members, or anything more than animals in my care. I believe that I take better care of them than some people or even many people, but I find it hard to believe that I take better care of my animals than "most people". Again, I believe you are in a position to see the worst animal situations rather than what is more normal.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose the rumor started when people started giving any and every bone from meals to their dogs. You do have to be careful with some bones. Remember, those wolves never cooked their meat. Raw bones are not a problem, even chicken bones are okay if uncooked. You have to watch out for those cooked bones that are likely to splinter.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey ... what ever happened to giving the dog a bone to chew :hu ... the tried and true method for dogs to clean their teeth for eons and before they became dogs ... by the wolves. Recommended by my dad who was a Veterinarian. :thumbsup
Over the years,All of my purebred dogs ( Border Collie, Mc Nab , Kelpie, Australian Shepherd, Chihuahua, German Shorhair, Springer Spanial, Rottweiler, Boxers ) got bones to chew so all of their teeth were pearly white, and I never had a one with a tooth problem . :woot

I feed my dogs raw bones as well and they have good teeth so far. Just met a 17 year old chihuahua today who looks maybe 8, and has very nice teeth. He gets a raw bone every day. I do believe they work!

No, like many people I don't do well on the weight issue: That's me, not my pets. I've never had an overweight cat or dog -- not with 30 acres of roaming room.

Teeth issues as well: again me, not my pets. The puppy found freezing along the road lived over 18 years, had all his teeth, and acted like a puppy even after he had a stroke at 16 and needed rehab work. The almost-euthanized-now-outside-declawed-cat is closing in on 15 with no ear, eye, or teeth problems according to her last vet visit.

Like all my pets, CeeCee sees the vet once a year for check up and shots, but usually makes 1-2 extra visits for what turns out to be minor stuff (a bee-stung swelling or paw cut from running in the alfalfa field after mowing) or her dratted fall allergies.

A dog and granddaughters' cats, they are pets and farm helpers. They are not my children, my fur babies, family members, or anything more than animals in my care. I believe that I take better care of them than some people or even many people, but I find it hard to believe that I take better care of my animals than "most people". Again, I believe you are in a position to see the worst animal situations rather than what is more normal.

Do you think the people who take the best care of their pets don't need a groomer?

I sometimes wonder this myself. It seems like the people who take the time to brush their dogs, manage their weight, and look after their teeth are already half way there. Its just a matter of adding on nail trims and a little scissoring if needed. If you're already looking after their needs why not learn those things too?

Latest posts