Pet adds

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy - I've heard of this too, and the public shaming by rescuers of those who don't get a rescue is something I also have a problem with. I've never even shared the baby photos of Tank (the dog in my avatar) because of the hate mail I got with the first puppy!

What do you think the end solution is? Is there a middle ground?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a end solution. We have a group in Westchester that only keeps lists. One list is people looking to place a dog, the other list is people looking to adopt a dog, they try to match up people on the lists. The person looking to place the dog is the one who must do the screening of new home. I wouldn't worry about hate mail, I have been breeding Cavaliers for over 15 years. There is nothing wrong with wanting a dog from a breed you fell in love with. I know almost every puppy I sold, went to people that only wanted a cavalier and wouldn't have gotten any other dog.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is problem with these type of discussions, it gets personal. When I want an animal for a specific purpose, I go to a breeder. People that run animal shelters (here in Indiana) do it for the love-as there is no $$ there. Rescue groups and breeders do it for the $$. I'm ok with that. Just wish rescue groups didn't try to come off as animal shelters.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's the wackos that give the people who are really trying to make a difference a bad name. There are a lot of wackos around here, always begging for "tax deductible donations". Not a bad way to make a living.....begging for $$$ for poor Fifi. :\

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have heard of the " spay and neuter" mantra from the bleeding hearts for years now... so where are all of the rescue dogs and cats come from as they seem to be offered by the dozens in wall to wall pens and cages by the rescue groups ? Certainly not from the Vancouver, Wa. area as there are only a handful of dogs and cats advertised by individuals, only the local rescue group. The local Ch 2 TV station in Portland, Ore. has featured quite a few stories of dogs being rescued from "S. Cal., or Texas " and transported to the PNW for adoption. Doing the math at least one local rescue is making way over SIX figures per year . So where do these "rescued " dogs and cats come from ? South of the border puppy mills ? I am beginning to wonder and suspect South of the Border puppy mills owned by the National spca type rescue groups to make a quick buck from TV and other media advertising pleas , Hmmmm ! :idunno Anyone hear or seen smoke signals of this type of thing going on ? :caf

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The largest problem is people want pets until they don't. They love puppies until they pee, chew or grow up. Or they have no idea as to the habits of the animal they chose thinking their's won't do that.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think sometimes it is helpful to view all sides of the debate before making a firm decision.......The unfortunate truth is, most people do not take very good care of their dogs. .........
Quite a few very good points. I, too, have seen animals that were not properly cared for and wonder why their owners even think they want a pet. However, your very broad generalization that "most people do not take very good care of their dogs" strikes me as just plain wrong. Americans spend more money on their pets each year than almost any other country. That isn't the behavior of abusive or negligent owners.

You may be in the position to see the worst of improper pet care and that may color your vision, but it doesn't mean 'everyone' or 'almost everyone' or even 'most' pet owners are negligent or uncaring.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I think you're right. All of our friends who have pets treat them as if they are their children. They also spends lots of money on them giving them the best dog food and grooming.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or perhaps my idea of negligence differs from that of others. Crushing a dogs knees and hips with obesity is to me, not taking very good care of the dog. Yes the action may be out of love, but it still hurts them. Letting an ear infection go on forever in a dog untreated is to me, negligent. Letting dogs live with broken, rotting teeth is to me, negligent.

All of those things can be well hidden on dogs to the average eye, and those same dogs may be coddled in other areas, but it doesn't stop the pain, and some of those things will shorten the dog's lifespan. It's really sad for me to hear an owner telling me that 7 years is an average lifespan for a beagle when that just isn't true.

Edited to add: I do think a distinction needs to be made between "Not caring about" and "not taking good care of" their dogs. To me good care includes providing food, water and shelter, keeping the dog at least in a reasonable weight, taking care of basic grooming (whether that is a brush and home nail trim or visiting a salon), taking care of the medical and dental needs of the dog, and giving it attention and training.

Most people do love their dogs. They do provide food, water and shelter. Most people don't do well on the weight issue:

http://www.petobesityprevention.org/

Or on the teeth issues. (Over 70% of dogs have periodontal disease, and most of them need to see a vet for it.)

Or on a whole host of non-life-threatening medical issues. (This is why vets send you so many reminder notices)

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's an animal. Decent people do not abuse. Some go over board with their treatment of animals but in NO way do I compare that to abuse!

Latest posts