Steve have you tried
A. spraying with hot pepper...
or
B. an electric fence...

When my kids were little we cheered for Peter but now I am more Mrs McGregor

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fence is the neighbor's. About all I do is prop it up :rolleyes:.

This is my large veggie garden. It isn't on my property and occupies considerably more ground than what I'd be happy to fence.

I've never tried a repellent - other than a rock. Throwing them, seems very ineffective with a rabbit. I've even hit them with a rock and they don't seem to know what happened or make a connection to the wildly gesticulating Mr. McGregor!

There is a great deal of tolerance for the cottontails in this neighborhood. Not far away, domestic rabbits have been turned out on a lawn! I can only hope that the coyote has made note of their whereabouts.

The signature line was only changed yesterday, Thistle' ;).

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the sig line- reminds me of one of my favorite songs, which I often quote. "The only thing that stays the same is change..." Melissa Ethridge. (Not sure if that is the name of the tune, or just a line in it...) But, ain't it the truth??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After so long carrying that signature about counting on my digitS', the quote seemed appropriate.

That old Greek Heraclitus said lots of things. One of them was about life and how it "bubbles forth." For my garden, right now, that seems very true. Everything is happening at once!

:cool:

Steve

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, the rabbit is cute and all, but he needs to learn who's the boss over there, Steve! ;) Maybe you need to borrow our Border Collie, Howdy, for a while. He will get rid of it for you. Just this morning he caught one of the squirrels that has been making nasty holes in one of our horse pastures. "Good Dog!" Or maybe you would prefer our Corgi, Gus. yesterday afternoon he cornered a rattlesnake so we could shoot it. "Good Boy!" I'm very glad I didn't run across that thing in my garden!!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rattlesnakes! Yikes!!

Tim: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit.
King Arthur: Ohh.
Tim: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
Sir Robin: You twit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!
Tim: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
Sir Galahad: Get stuffed!
Tim: He'll do you up a treat, mate.
Sir Galahad: Oh, yeah?
Sir Robin: You manky Scots git!
Tim: I'm warning you!
Sir Robin: What's he do? Nibble your bum?
Tim: He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG, Steve! That brings back some memories!!! I'll bet your sweet-looking little bunny is just like that!!!

Yep, the rattlers are out in full force right now. Gotta be really careful - we killed a really huge one curled up on the back step the other night. YUK!!!!!

Latest posts