Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The small growing house inside the boiler room is quite successful. The spinach and garlic I planted on Nov 16 germinated very soon. I already removed them into the greenhouse because the light there isn't sufficient to support their growth. In the future, we can install proper lights, and it can be a small underground greenhouse.

5365.jpg

See those lovely roots!
5366.jpg

Also, the plastic cover keeps an excellent humidity; the Shiitake mushrooms are growing.
5384.jpg

I didn't expect the humidity can reach more than 90%. As for the temperature (averagely 23~24 degrees C, too high for mushrooms, ideally, it should be lower than 20 degrees C), I tried not to close the door entirely.

5383.jpg

Last week, I accepted one job offer. So I tried to re-organize the space in the laundry room to set up a dedicated corner as the home office. Although I didn't decide yet, one of the tables will become my home office, and the other will be for the laundry.
PB210097.JPG

Mmm, the monitor and laptop look better here.
PB210098.JPG

I separate this working area from my primary desk in the living room, and all job-related tasks will be done here.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The roots of the leafy greens I planted in the greenhouse - are so pretty.
PB220117.JPG

I am trying different ways to plant leafy greens - those were transplanted in the small containers originally. About two weeks ago, I removed the containers and put them directly in the deep tray, just like they grow in more giant soil blocks. Besides being plastic-free, another advantage of using soil block is the root system can grow freely. The first photo is taken from this tray.
PB220114.JPG

Then I tried another way today. After taking the seedlings out from the module tray, I transplanted them into a deep tray full of potting compost. I hypothesize that these leafy greens will grow very slowly in the coming months, so the potting soil mixed with a bit of dry manure-based fertilizer should be enough for winter.

PB220102.JPG

PB220120.JPG

Of course, there is also the most initial way; just let the seedlings grow in the small containers.
PB220111.JPG

Now the shelves are 60% full, let's see.
PB220104.JPG

All of them are frost-hardy, and I believe they can do better in the greenhouse than staying outside.
PB220110.JPG

The garlic cloves start to grow, too.
PB220108.JPG

So are the peas and board beans.
PB220119.JPG

We will have some harsh frost in the coming few nights, and I just covered the citrus and sweet Osmanthus in the garden with some extra fleece.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does it get very cold there?
Our coldest month is usually February.
21-11-23-21-42-03-596_deco.jpg

Sometimes it's milder and sometimes harsher. It seems this year would be the harsher one compared with the past few years.

I used Vaseline on roosters and hens who have larger combs ans wattles this morning. It's their and my first time experience 😂

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
21-11-23-21-47-48-448_deco.jpg

The working area is setting up. Although it is just a corner in the laundry room, I love it.

Bravi is also doing well and tried even to run across a small distance in the afternoon. She gradually had normal fermented feed with extra proteins.

I believe that she will recover soon.

21-11-23-21-49-08-725_deco.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today we have a very bright morning, and it makes me so energetic. The greenhouse is somehow chaotic, but many things are waiting to be done.

159.jpg

The temperature at the noontime
174.jpg

Everything looks great in the sunlight.
156.jpg

164.jpg

161.jpg

169.jpg

165.jpg

I divided a few weeks ago Cheese plants - let them enjoy some sunlight as the temperature is mild.
157.jpg

I finished some re-potting works, including making a new home for one cheese plant that roots vigorously.
162.jpg

Rose in the morning frost
154.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also spent some time finalizing my working area in the laundry room. Most of the items are re-located and re-purposed from other corners in the house. However, I am delighted with the final result.
23(1).jpg

It's a bit funny because I didn't make any "serious" renovation here - just cleaned and gradually optimized it according to my activities.
28_0.jpg

I can do so many things in this room. :lol:

Inside the opened door is the boiler room, and I expect the harvest of shiitake mushroom tomorrow morning.
32_0.jpg

Nice environment! Now I am ready to grow more mushrooms with this small plastic greenhouse in the boiler room. 😍
34.jpg

35.jpg

Bravi is doing very well - so well that I have to let her go back to the flock tomorrow. She stayed in the greenhouse today for hours and enjoyed the sunlight. However, every time I brought her out, she immediately ran to the flock. Yes, she started to run!

But since she has left the flock for almost two weeks, the pecking order is already reset. I will set the broody cage inside the run so that she won't get pecked.

177.jpg

175.jpg

Our roosters, about five months old
PB240162.jpg

I can't believe they looked so cute four months ago!
img (23).jpg

The yellow one in the middle also becomes so different now.
37730(1).jpg

Latest posts