Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another thing we always prepare is also done: a snack basket for post-delivery service personnel. Cookies, chocolates, fruits, and some drinks - I appreciate their help very much because I am so used to ordering all kinds of products online.

732.jpg

731.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
UPS?

Is United Parcel Service in Germany? (Not to mention DHL ;))

I can still remember when UPS trucks showed up in this part of the world. Door to door delivery was solely by the government postal service, except for courier service in cities. That changed. Almost immediately there were problems with the government service not making enough money on letter delivery. Of course not ... package delivery subsidies 1st class. Then, retirement pensions fell short ...

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I didn't do much in the garden this week; it snows or rains most of the time. Anyway, while I am using the boiler room for germinating seeds and growing mushrooms, the term "micro-climate" comes into my mind all the time.

First thing first - the temperature inside the boiler room is relatively stable; when the door is closed, it could reach and maintain 24°C. So I used the space today for dough rising - the milk toast is just finished and cooling down in the greenhouse, and the dough for Bagel will be baked tomorrow morning.
1087.jpg

It smells so lovely and looks inviting.
1102.jpg

Micro-climate exists in different parts of the garden. Using the boiler room recently inspired me that it can also be created inside the house. I am happy to explore more about what I can do in this house to maximize its productivity.

It looks a bit funny, but here is the party hall with all kinds of clothes and towels during the night.

864.jpg

The laundry will become 80-90% dry in the morning and be sent into the dryer. Then the home office corner will be ready for me again.

919.jpg

The coffee corner in the pond-facing room is where I make my own candles and do some simple skincare every morning.
1109.jpg

1111.jpg

So each corner develops and becomes multi-functional gradually. I love the feeling.
1113.jpg

I planted some scallions into the soil today. Every week I can get many of them with a 50% discount in the supermarket. I usually keep 3-4cm bottom parts, trim their roots and give them a little water. After 1-2 weeks, they are ready to be transplanted. One of my dreams is that there will be many scallions in the garden soon, and I can always harvest some when I want. :lol:
1013.jpg

This is the first year I planted this hybrid vegetable, a cross between purple kale and brussels sprout. The yield is not bad, and they need very little care. I will cook them tomorrow and try how they taste.
1107.jpg

1108.jpg

So soon, another week is near the end. The new job is challenging but enjoyable, especially the product design part. It's never too old to learn and deliver.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, the drying performance of the boiler room is impressive. Besides, the moisture will temporarily increase a bit.
1129.jpg

The first batch of microgreens looks not bad. Besides sunflowers and beetroot, the other four germinated quite quickly (I put them beside the kitchen window). However, I had no idea why I sowed them this way (one seed, one block) -- it must be an influence from seeing how others did.
1131.jpg

So, I tried something different again. Why not mix the seeds and let them grow together? I simply separate seeds into two categories: soak and no-soak. I don't know what to expect, but maybe they will look lovely when different seeds grow together? When you harvest, you can have a bunch of mixed microgreens easily.
1130.jpg

The seeds that need no soaking are already checked in the small plastic greenhouse in the boiler room. After they germinate, I will remove them to the greenhouse for light and fresh air flow.

The toast I baked yesterday is very delicious - I had one thick slice with buffalo butter and my coffee this morning.
1116.jpg

1133.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Water Buffalo butter? There is a man from India on BYH whose name is River Buffaloes. He posts about life in India, but mostly promotes the virtues of Water Buffaloes. VERY interesting.
Yes, it seems people in Italy like buffalo butter. Most of the buffalo butter brands I bought are from Italy. There is not much difference in their flavors or texture. We used to visit a much fancier supermarket every few months, and there are always some interesting new things. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The stable temperature in the boiler room helps germination tremendously. Just one day! Sunflower seeds are the slowest, but still, a few already germinated. I guess these seedlings will move to the greenhouse in another 1-2 days.
1197.jpg

I tried to put this small container on one corner of the boiler. The container is very light, and the boiler's temperature makes it like a heating mat. Let's see whether it will make any difference.
1198.jpg

I learned this spring from Charles Dowding that warmth (especially the temperature at night) is critical for seed germination. However, I just let most seeds stay in the greenhouse. Now I see how efficient the germination can be when I put them in the boiler room. I will follow this way from now on.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A sunny day!
I don't have any specific document to revise today, so I enjoyed the lovely sunlight in the greenhouse the entire morning. Usually, I didn't spend time when it was cold and grey outside, but those seedlings kept growing, although slowly.

I love this "green in the snow" (mustard) - the color is so adorable in the wintertime, and they taste great in sandwiches.
1370.jpg

1374.jpg

1378.jpg

1372.jpg

The microgreens also have excellent progress.
1346.jpg

A microgreen corner
1371.jpg

1380.jpg

I guess I can harvest some in another few days, as the outcome is great; I ordered some more seeds this morning.
1375.jpg

Hellebores - New flowers are waiting patiently for their turns. This is my first hellebores in the pot (there is one under a tree Rododendon in the garden, difficult to reach), and I can finally see them closely.
1369.jpg