Phaedra's 2021 Garden

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
same here, we also reduced it a lot, especially the ground isn't even, everytime I mowed, I always worry that I will fall over somewhere. :rolleyes: So, two areas with trees and shrubs became chicken kingdom, i guess they don't mind a bit slope. This year I also tried several wild flower patches, the effect is quite nice, not only for pollinators, but also some extra materials for cut flower arrangements.

as much as you may not want to mow you may also find out in time that if you allow bushes or trees to get established on a slope that they overly shade out the ground covers that are holding the soil in place. if you don't have natural terracing materials like rocks to use to hold that bank in place it can all get washed away. also you have to be careful to not let chickens strip an area of cover. they need to be managed like herbivores and rotated.

it is nice to have some wildflowers growing around the place. we leave some pinks and some other flowers to grow when i see them. we used to have poppies and nigella roaming around in the gardens out front and it would grow in the limestone mulch too but Mom has been getting rid of it since she's seen how much the deer have been eating it. the deer have just switched to the other plants instead. i miss the extra color and bee food out there but she being the person who picks it all up when it's done it's up to her what she wants to do out there.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rainy day, so far the newly-set chicken food tower (kind of combination of cold compost and vertical planting, but majorly for our hens to have fun+food) shows nice growth.
28196.jpg

The 3rd compost pile (900L) just half full, but as there are many green wood and glass clipping, the temperature is always quite nice.
28180.jpg

Not much to do in the garden today, just enjoy their growth
28179.jpg

28189.jpg

28183.jpg

28181.jpg

28177.jpg
28185.jpg

28182.jpg

28186.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have claimed that gardening should be a snap because I'm dragging.

Snapdragon. Do the flowers have similar names in Europe and Asia, Phaedra?

No seed in that compost!

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have claimed that gardening should be a snap because I'm dragging.

Snapdragon. Do the flowers have similar names in Europe and Asia, Phaedra?

No seed in that compost!

Steve
Yes and no, in Germany it's called Löwenmäulchen and in Taiwan 金魚草, the common ground is people all think the flower looks like a mouth of something, dragon, fish or whatever.

Latest posts