Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Phaedra , this is s wee bit ironic; your seeds traveled half way around the world, to a happy home and look great. Mine are still under roughly 14 inches of snow and i won’t even be able to see the pots for several weeks!

Good job, they look great; but then all you’re stuff looks great! Thanks for showing them.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a Lawn and Edge Cutter from Gloria, and it's amazing! Edge cleaning (for flower or raised beds) is no longer a nightmare. I don't have to drag a mower and try to find a proper angle or use grass shear manually all the time.
4148_0.jpg

With the edge cutter, leaf rake, and grass shear, I can save a lot of energy. :p
4147.jpg

Besides cleaning the garden bit by bit, I also started pinching the young plants. Many of them have to stay in the greenhouse until the end of May, so pinching is a nice strategy to encourage side shoots and further strengthen the root systems.

Catmint, after the first pinching
4096_0.jpg

Snapdragons after the first pinching
P4130584.JPG

Spring is gradually taking over.
P1105282.JPG

P1105285.JPG

4142_1.jpg

In another one or two weeks, we will enjoy some tulips.
4145_1.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Romaine Lettuce 'Rosha'
Same seed, different growing conditions after transplantation

The seedling on the left side was transplanted outdoors without any cover, and the one on the right side was repotted into a 13cm pot and stayed in the greenhouse.

The left is dark red, while the right is a mixture of colors.
The right one is 3 times bigger (and I already harvested the outer leaves once) than the left one.
4174.jpg

Housekeeping! Time to check the second batch of ox-eye daisy plants I divided on April 5th. So far, 15 pots are all doing well.

I cleaned and removed the spent leaves again.
4167.jpg

I gave them some seaweed extract after cleaning up. They will be transplanted to the chicken-run areas with the divided chives in mid-May after the roots are more established.
4204.jpg

Housekeeping for the geranium propagated from cuttings - The young plant itself is healthy, and the roots are doing fine.

Taking care of these plants is a priceless hands-on experience after reading and watching how others did. Having the opportunity to enjoy what I want to do is absolutely a blessing.

First, I removed the fading flowers and some leaves so the overall structure could be seen better. Then, I cut one stem as the rest two have a more reasonable growing space in the same container. The cut one was propagated immediately. It's an ordinary garden geranium, but the delights it can offer from successfully rooting, growing, flowering, and becoming the next mother plant are never less than any rare, expensive, and fancy cultivars.
4168.jpg

The 2-year-old Mexican orange blossom in the greenhouse, how splendid
4165(1).jpg

The divided sedums, daylilies, ox-eye daisies, and black currant that I transplanted 10 days ago in the soil - as the roots are pretty established, they are adapting fine, too.
4171_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another busy but fruitful Monday
I re-painted one table and a small plant stand and was satisfied with the results.
4241.jpg

4225.jpg

After the second painting, better than a new one!
341225526_1578728715942896_7911922931367753847_n.jpg

Look so nice! :love
4242.jpg

Besides the ranunculus, the rest were grown from seeds or cuttings.
4235.jpg

When I was painting, the bread machine was doing its work and created a nice loaf as usual.
4237.jpg

The first chili in 2023, really early :D
4228_0.jpg

Then, I made some flower seed bombs. :lol: In fact, I just put all the seeds I am not willing to sow one by one all together.
4233.jpg

Candyleaf - The first sowing wasn't successful, but the second time was ok - I got two pretty robust young plants and a smaller one.
4227_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Ducks, the type I am using is a bit different from the ones you posted. This new model came from such a 'grass shear.' Before this year, this is what we could get from the market. Unfortunately, it is too tiny and difficult to trim the edge, especially for the raised beds.
9146-Exl74L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This new model is about three times larger in width and works nicely. I kept some areas for the grass and weeds to grow so the pollinators have their living spaces. However, for the main working areas with cut flowers, vegetables, and fruit trees - this device can help me a lot to keep things tidy.
91jUeC-tBWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7153gZLxYmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A lovely view - Pak Choi 'Yorokobi' sown on Feb 3rd
The seed company recommends growing this variety in the end of summer (I guess it's comparatively easy to bolt in spring.); however, the pest issue then will be quite a headache. Anyway, I tried a small batch in February first.

It's a lovely variety that has a good balance between the leaves and stems.
4503_0.jpg

They were transplanted in the Lily bed, and Lilies start emerging. So, it's time to start harvesting the bigger leaves.
4504_0.jpg

Cherry radish harvest - the different but adorable shapes might have resulted from multi-sowing.
4501_1.jpg

Purple asparagus seedlings from home-saved seeds - the germination rate is 95-98%! They are eager to grow. Compared with growing from crowns, it will take 1-2 more years to harvest from growing from seeds. However, I am not in a hurry to eat them.
4495.jpg

4496_0.jpg

Although I plant to re-do most of my raised beds this year, they came back as usual. I will make an asparagus patch this time for the new seedlings.
4507_0.jpg

Unfortunately, the weather here this spring keeps changing. A few warm days, a few cold days. Besides some perennials, most plants have to stay in the greenhouse for a longer time.
4509(1).jpg

Scented Pelargonium (Geranium) 'Madame Nonin' - I bought this last year as the mother plant, and now is a good time to start taking cuttings, as the plant is very healthy, with a good amount of side shoots. I pinched the top and propagated it immediately.
4499_1.jpg

4500_1.jpg

DH and I also kept working on the new chicken run when the weather was good. We enjoyed a lovely afternoon in the garden today.
4506_1.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After chili plants, I also repotted the first four cucumbers and two luffas. The roots are ready to be transplanted, but it has to wait a few more weeks.
4498_1.jpg

My first nine tomatoes start flowering - one is San Marzano (for making sauce/ketchup), and the other is an outdoor cherry tomato variety. I will repot them into 10L bottomless containers first and then bring them to the hoop tunnel after May 15th.

4670.jpg

4671.jpg

The annual flower seed bombs - some seeds just can't wait and have germinated already. I will bring them to the garden tomorrow morning. :D
4675.jpg

Overwintered chili plants (Cayenne) start flowering and fruiting. Chili is one of the essential plants we need for seasoning purposes, so a stable and earlier output is my priority.
4650.jpg

Meanwhile, I also grow an alternative, 'Red Gunda,' a new variety from the seed company I like. It's pretty and productive.
G804_1668698342.jpg

I sowed them one month ago, and this is the biggest one (among four seedlings). Together with the overwintered ones, they will create sufficient chilis we need in the coming months.
4672.jpg

The rose cuttings from Lidl and a random flower shop keep growing. As the new leaves and roots (already visible from the bottom) keep growing, I believe they will become two lovely plants. The other seedlings around them are purple-leave Pak Choi.
4673.jpg

Latest posts