Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I cover the outdoor fence (it's a mobile cage with a screen that you can hook on it) so they can't fly over. Also, it protects them from the predators in the air.

The garden is in fact a pretty dangerous place for quails. I just found another poor prey near the chicken run area - a blackbird. I am not sure if it was done by other birds or cats in the surroundings. Poor boy.
View attachment 57338

sometimes birds do die of old age.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We cut an old blue pallet (they are free of charge and with all kinds of colors or conditions) today and built a mini tomato hoop tunnel attached to the chicken run.

Tomorrow, we will add the transparent greenhouse film and complete it.
7218.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The lotus leaves finally reach the surface of the water - I love the cost-effective setting of this water feature. I ordered another mortar bucket (also 90L) to create a similar one in the cut flower area. It's interesting to see birds visiting this mini bucket pond.
7235_0.jpg

I kept painting the old wooden trellis and felt so clam - how nice to see something get a second chance?
7243_1.jpg

Now, they became the houses for the first batch of cucumbers.
7228_0.jpg

We love to have our meals in the garden, as long as the weather is good.
7234.jpg

The container and herb patch shows abundance.
7236_0.jpg

I also finished the mini hoop tunnel for tomatoes. Next week, I might modify it into a raised-bed type hoop tunnel by adding some wooden plates on the front. When we have more pallets, we can also keep expanding it.
7226.jpg

The latest variety of tulips this year, small but lovely.
7222_0.jpg

One of my favorite garden tools
7224.jpg

And my fancy outdoor table, evening version :lol:
7250_0.jpg

Well, the garden is so essential to our daily life!

Attachments

• 7223.jpg
    7223.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 40

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I LOVE the white fairy lights on your work table Phaedra, and will be drafting plans to build one for myself immediately. It boggles my mind how you are able to tend, grow, and create so many beautiful things in between walking dogs and cooking fabulous meals for your family--but I think I have it figured out. There is not just one Phaedra-- but forty of you, working non-stop day and night to accomplish all that you do. You are an inspirational bunch! 😍

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a slightly rainy day, so I decided to work in the hoop tunnel, added homemade compost, and transplanted tomatoes, pot marigolds, MUMs, and some pole beans first.

Pole beans germinated so quickly and well.
7285_0.jpg

I moved some defective raised bed elements and several planting bricks to redefine the planting areas. Surprisingly, they did better jobs here. I will keep adding compost for the next few days.
7284_0.jpg

And I finished my first hand-made foldable table - the wood was recycled from a broken pallet, sanded, painted, and re-assembled.
7294(1).jpg

After sanding (the middle one wasn't, for comparison), the surfaces were lovely again.
7269_1.jpg

Not fancy, but precious as a dare-to-try :)
7287_0.jpg

I also kept sowing - two plastic containers can become a cozy place for seeds to start their journey.
7274(1).jpg

Many splendid flowers are on their way!
7282.jpg

7296_0.jpg

Black elderberry plants that I propagated from cuttings last year are adapting well and show some flowers. I already removed the flowers after taking photos.
7298_0.jpg

Some harvest of leafy greens and purples :D
7277_0.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a slightly rainy day, so I decided to work in the hoop tunnel, added homemade compost, and transplanted tomatoes, pot marigolds, MUMs, and some pole beans first.

Pole beans germinated so quickly and well.
View attachment 57508
I moved some defective raised bed elements and several planting bricks to redefine the planting areas. Surprisingly, they did better jobs here. I will keep adding compost for the next few days.
View attachment 57496
And I finished my first hand-made foldable table - the wood was recycled from a broken pallet, sanded, painted, and re-assembled.
View attachment 57497

After sanding (the middle one wasn't, for comparison), the surfaces were lovely again.
View attachment 57498
Not fancy, but precious as a dare-to-try :)
View attachment 57499
I also kept sowing - two plastic containers can become a cozy place for seeds to start their journey.
View attachment 57500
Many splendid flowers are on their way!
View attachment 57501
View attachment 57504
Black elderberry plants that I propagated from cuttings last year are adapting well and show some flowers. I already removed the flowers after taking photos.
View attachment 57505
Some harvest of leafy greens and purples :D
View attachment 57507
I look forward to your posts! You always have such amazing pictures and fun projects!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Alright, my outdoor pallet table is 'officially' done today. I went to that broken pallet, took another piece, painted it, and cut a Y-shape branch. It's so interesting to see something you imagine come into reality.
7336_0.jpg

The table is upgraded :lol: and equipped with a garden hose holder now.
7335_1.jpg

So I can easily clean the harvest and collect the water for other plants.
7334_1.jpg

We also collect wastewater (no oil) from the kitchen daily. It's good to see this old bucket (from the previous owner) back to the front line.
7337(1).jpg