Phaedra's 2023 Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Summer arrived here earlier this year, and a dry period awaits us. The earliest rain will be two weeks later, sigh. Either it rains too much or too little.

As usual, I did some daily maintenance work in the garden, but recently, the space that will become my shop is under renovation. This is what it looked like yesterday, and another layer of cement was done on the ground this morning.
7592(1).jpg

So, I also keep trying some ideas and let the neighbors and acquaintances try and give feedback.
7593(1).jpg

Meanwhile, the boundaries of container planting were expanded. I have three such containers in the greenhouse, and there is, in fact, another smaller pot in the center. The perennials in it develop too well for this pot.

7594_0.jpg

The central pot can be taken as a plug, just the size is much bigger compared with the common seedlings.

I took the plants and soil out, just like removing seedlings from the module tray, and then inserted 'it' into a raised bed with other spare plants. The entire process is done in about 20 minutes.
7589_0.jpg

The old pot is refilled with a mixture of soil and compost, then new perennials and self-seeded pansies are checked in.
7596.jpg

I also brought my quails to do some weeding and fertilizing work on the path (between raised beds) and under roses, where weeding is more difficult.

They did a quick overview and started working in no time. I bet they will accomplish this task in less than three days. :lol: I can feel how much they like this working environment.
7599.jpg

7598.jpg

Flowers are blossoming.
7600.jpg

7603.jpg

7591_0.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know the exact size, but the east side is the pond and waterfall (unfortunately, the waterfall didn't work any longer, something was wrong with the underground rainwater and pump system. Not a priority to work it out again in a short time).

The first house owner must have spent a lot of money to create such features, so it's a blessing for us to buy this property in 2018. Several other serious buyers gave up because of the foreseeable efforts (time and money) to maintain such a garden.

At that time, we also checked some newly built houses, a plain, small, and lawn-only (no trees, no shrubs) garden charged extra 15,000 Euros.... I fell in love with this property immediately.

Suddenly, an elementary-school-level newbie gardener, I, suddenly got a pass to own and take care of a university-level garden. I did pay a lot of time and effort (and money) for trial and error without any regret. This garden is not just the anchor of my life, but a part of me now. :D

Let me share the evening view of the pond and the new trail we created from the old pavers. I love them.

View attachment 57738
You have turned the garden into your own peaceful oasis. When you open your shop, will you have a sitting area in the garden ?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have turned the garden into your own peaceful oasis. When you open your shop, will you have a sitting area in the garden ?
No, the garden is only for ourselves and close friends.

The small shop offers only to-go meals and drinks, However, we are going to renovate a flowerbed right beside the small shop. People can also pick the propagated plants from there. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My first special peony - Pastelegance
The color is a mixture of salmon pink, cream, and peach hues. It's love at first glance. I am already very satisfied to see one lovely flower in the first year of planting the tuber.
7631_0.jpg

Rhododendrons are pretty drought-tolerant, if we consider how many flowers they have....
7635_0.jpg

7655_1.jpg
Delphinium at its second growing season, close to one meter high now
7632_1.jpg

Herb harvest
7638_0.jpg

We refilled the raised beds with homemade compost and transplanted many young plants.
7654_1.jpg

7658_0.jpg

Weigela is blooming!
7650_1.jpg

Enjoyed another bright day with Bobo and Momo~
7643_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I transplanted most of the young plants in the raised beds or the hoop tunnel today, and then mulched them.
7693.jpg

7694_0.jpg

Most of the potted plants are moving to their final spots. After that, I also mulched the bed.
7692.jpg

Not many left in the greenhouse (more like an oven now) - so I will sow some new seeds tonight.
7691_0.jpg

Iced latte with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top, heaven!
7696.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did an experiment, as I am not in the mood to grow basils from seeds this year. The basils growing now in the garden were 'divided' from a supermarket potted plant. I harvested some this morning but also noticed that many of them are ready to flower.
7914_0.jpg

So, I bought one pot again. Usually, I pinch them and separate them from one pot to around 12 pots.
7956_1.jpg

This time, I did both - the upper parts were prepared like cuttings and put in the water to root;
7959.jpg

The lower parts were soaked in the water with some seaweed extract for hours. I will divide and transplant them in the garden tomorrow. Let's see if we will harvest a lot of basils later.
7958_0.jpg

Meanwhile, there are many lovely flowers in the garden.
7906_0.jpg

7951_0.jpg

7952_1.jpg

7953_1.jpg

And I arranged the second small water feature and added one mini waterlily.
7955_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beautiful flowers and I like the water feature. Is that a fish in it?
Brilliant idea on the basil.
No, it's too small (90L) for fish. Besides, I will have some trouble overwintering fish. :p
As the waterlily can survive in such a small bucket the whole year round, it's the best resident. :D

Latest posts