Phaedra's Adventure

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your greenhouse looks sparkling clean and beautiful. You and your DH make a good team!

WOW! And WOW! On the rolls cake tutorial! I doubt that I will ever try to make one, but if I ever feel that adventurous, I’ll have the BEST teacher! How kind of you to share and be so helpful to @AMKuska . You are a treasure and we all benefit from your presence here on TEG.

With the magic of the internet, I can sit in my living room in East Texas and travel to Germany and share in your shopping trips, the masterpieces of food you create, your garden, chickens, quail, dogs and your family. Thank you for your generous heart.
I know!! My husband was asking me what I was going to do to try and fix the cake roll, so I told him about @Phaedra and how much she's been helping me. I'm excited to try again and maybe have a beautiful cake roll to share!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The weather was extremely good today, so I brought all the indoor plants to have a shower and a bath. I added a few drops of liquid fertilizer in a bucket and let them sit for 15-20 minutes. And then, they enjoy the sunlight for some hours in the greenhouse.
16170.jpg

Plants all enjoy such weather, I guess.
16169.jpg

Tomorrow will be the day to prick out the seedlings and let them check in to the module trays. After that, I will sow sweet peas, another batch of peas and beets.

I also sowed 60 cells of fava beans last Friday, and some start emerging. I will remove them to the greenhouse tomorrow.
16168.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's pleasant to work in a clean greenhouse - time for seedlings to move into their own cells.
16192.jpg

16209.jpg

The weaker seedlings were discarded, and the ones moved into the module trays have a more or less similar status.
16190.jpg

Cherry radishes and the first batch peas were transplanted into a plastic planter in the greenhouse.
16188.jpg

Outdoor catmints that I grew last year from seeds are coming back and seem happy anyway. I might give them a thin layer of homemade compost later. Perennials are so important for a garden, otherwise you have to grow everything from seeds every spring, too tiresome.
16210.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just got the heavy rain warning - although it's not as terrifying as the 2021 July's 200L/sqm in a few hours, I'd rather be prepared.

16216.jpg

Our house has two Achilles heels - they are called "Lichtschächte" (Engslish: Window wells - to allow light and air go into the windows in the basement), something like the below photo. The two wells are located on the lowest points in the garden (which is on a slight slope). During last flood, the water came from the much higher areas crossed the street and eventually reach our house. These two wells didn't cause troubles because we used plastic and sandbags to temporarily block their edges.

61X61C6FUvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

As the sandbags are gone, I was thinking to fill plastic trash bags with soil this time, but suddenly, an alternative came into my mind: water. So I used bags with water to make something similar as a short term solution.

16214.jpg

Eventually, we have to build something simple like this concept and get rid of the risk.
WhatsApp 圖片儲存時間2024-02-06,17.28.26_171f5a7d.jpg

By the way, the dehumidifier for greenhouse also reports on duty today.
16212.jpg

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just got the heavy rain warning - although it's not as terrifying as the 2021 July's 200L/sqm in a few hours, I'd rather be prepared.

View attachment 63777

Our house has two Achilles heels - they are called "Lichtschächte" (Engslish: Window wells - to allow light and air go into the windows in the basement), something like the below photo. The two wells are located on the lowest points in the garden (which is on a slight slope). During last flood, the water came from the much higher areas crossed the street and eventually reach our house. These two wells didn't cause troubles because we used plastic and sandbags to temporarily block their edges.

View attachment 63780
As the sandbags are gone, I was thinking to fill plastic trash bags with soil this time, but suddenly, an alternative came into my mind: water. So I used bags with water to make something similar as a short term solution.

View attachment 63778

Eventually, we have to build something simple like this concept and get rid of the risk.
View attachment 63781

By the way, the dehumidifier for greenhouse also reports on duty today.
View attachment 63782
Brilliant! Water to protect against water. It's a sort of paradox, but likely to work.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far, it keeps raining but thankfully not very heavily. I pricked out another tray of 60 seedlings and adjusted the height of one shelf and lights for them. Tomorrow, I should be able to prick out another tray - that means there will be already 180 plants at least.
16224.jpg

Home-saved fava beans are coming out, too. My target is the young shoots on the top as leafy greens - they taste great when you stir-fry them. The last year experiment also went well - I will cut them back before flowering and give the stems and leaves to the chicken. As the plants keep growing, the nitrogen fixing effect will function better, too. I don't really love the beans, so this is the best practice for me.
16229.jpg

The first potted miniature roses I rescued with half price are doing well, too. I separated them back to four individual plants (as they were 4 rooted cuttings) and pruned them. Now, the new leaves are appearing and look healthy. I guess, they will all become the plants for this garden.
16228.jpg

Asparagus crown that I dug out and divided but didn't have a proper place last autumn - too many of them after the dividing. I temporarily put them in bigger pots and look at them, they are ready! Need to find new home for them soon.
16225.jpg

One of the Apple roses propagated from the basal shoots - also doing very well and sending more shoots. They will be transplanted to the permanent places soon, too. They produce a lot of roses for me to make herbal tea, very low maintenance, and can always use basal shoots to propagate. I only pick the petals for tea, and the bees can have what they really want, what a win-win.
16226.jpg

Baking for today, two milk loafs with black sesames and muscovado sugar.
16219.jpg

I also baked some cookies with peanuts, oatmeal, cranberries, and 85% dark chocolate. DH and DD both asked me not to share with testers. :lol:
16220.jpg

A quiet rainy day - the kitchen smells like a small heaven, and l love this simple life.
16230.jpg

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So far, it keeps raining but thankfully not very heavily. I pricked out another tray of 60 seedlings and adjusted the height of one shelf and lights for them. Tomorrow, I should be able to prick out another tray - that means there will be already 180 plants at least. View attachment 63812
Home-saved fava beans are coming out, too. My target is the young shoots on the top as leafy greens - they taste great when you stir-fry them. The last year experiment also went well - I will cut them back before flowering and give the stems and leaves to the chicken. As the plants keep growing, the nitrogen fixing effect will function better, too. I don't really love the beans, so this is the best practice for me.
View attachment 63813

The first potted miniature roses I rescued with half price are doing well, too. I separated them back to four individual plants (as they were 4 rooted cuttings) and pruned them. Now, the new leaves are appearing and look healthy. I guess, they will all become the plants for this garden.
View attachment 63814

Asparagus crown that I dug out and divided but didn't have a proper place last autumn - too many of them after the dividing. I temporarily put them in bigger pots and look at them, they are ready! Need to find new home for them soon.
View attachment 63815
One of the Apple roses propagated from the basal shoots - also doing very well and sending more shoots. They will be transplanted to the permanent places soon, too. They produce a lot of roses for me to make herbal tea, very low maintenance, and can always use basal shoots to propagate. I only pick the petals for tea, and the bees can have what they really want, what a win-win.
View attachment 63816

Baking for today, two milk loafs with black sesames and muscovado sugar.
View attachment 63817

I also baked some cookies with peanuts, oatmeal, cranberries, and 85% dark chocolate. DH and DD both asked me not to share with testers. :lol:
View attachment 63818

A quiet rainy day - the kitchen smells like a small heaven, and l love this simple life.
View attachment 63819
That's hilarious.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brilliant! Water to protect against water. It's a sort of paradox, but likely to work.

actually, now that i've come back and read this again. if you are using bags of water to hold back water then it won't work very well if the water gets deep enough to match the depth in the bags. but if you have a really large bag of water that doesn't get overtopped it would work to a point. it also depends upon any force exerted by the flowing water on the bags...

Latest posts