Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay, time to do some renovation work! This is the sickbay for quails - we bought it about two years ago, when I had almost zero experience with those DIY tools. The ready products are convenient, but they are also often pricy and not very properly (with many illogical designs) made.

In fact, there is no quail house on the market here, and this one is more for genuine pigs, I guess. Quails need sunlight, so I first removed the roof and replaced it with a much lighter one made of two wooden sticks and a piece of plastic panel (those for repairing simple greenhouse). The new drill head I bought last year did a good job - the extra space it drills through can ensure a flat and neat surface after the screws are in.

15805.jpg

Then, I changed the hinges to the back, so the new lighter roof can be easily fixed and open/close. A small cage made of leftover chicken wire is usually used as a temporary residence when I clean the sickbay. I used it here to create a tiny garden - the quail can peck some fresh leaves, but won't kill the plants completely.

The small solar light which isn't suitable for seedlings should be able to perform well here - it provides light for both the quail and the plants for extra hours.
15807.jpg

The small cage also holds two feeders, food and water. At the end, I changed the direction of the front door by re-arranging the hinges and added a metal piece (for fixing PVC pipes) as a door handle. Finally, the door can open properly and smoothly toward outside.
15806.jpg

This quail escaped last summer with her friends when strong wind blew up the mobile cage. They were such easy targets and soon attacked by the magpies. She was found under one Rhododendron bush and had several bloody holes on her shoulder and back.

I was not sure if she could make it, and just let her stay indoors after treating her with some first-aids. I believe the principles are similar - leave the wounded ones in the dark, safe, and warm place with water and food. I did what I have learned from supporting the hen attacked by a sparrow hawk.

She made it and moved into sickbay several days later. Then, she molted and stayed there for a few more weeks. It's surprisingly difficult to re-integrate her in the original flock. I tried to re-introduce her several times, but it just didn't work out. With the approaching winter, we decided to let her stay in the greenhouse.

Well, it seems she is satisfied with this renovation and all the facility upgrade.

It's a lovely small project I did today, and it's a good prototype for future optimization of our chicken runs.

Last edited:

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep considering what I can offer as a community-based small shop. 'Warm sparkle' could be a direction. We don't have too much financial pressure, general or the overall costs from the shop. I also prefer playing in the garden at least hours a day (besides winter), so the shop will only open from 1200-1800.

But during the six hours, people who visit will have something nice and delicious. For example, they will get a small portion of jam like the one I made from the orange flesh yesterday for free, when they buy a bread or toast. If they bring their own containers, they get 50cent discount from all drink and food items, besides, they can get a free plant when they collect 10 stamps 'bring your own containers.' During sowing season, maybe I can offer additional seedlings as gifts. From May to August, the shop can also offer some veggies and bouquets.

I am not the type for giant and great business, but a tiny-scale wonderland is worthy for a fight. :D
You have such a beautiful outlook for your business and community. The folks that visit you are in for a very special treat.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
She sure looks happy and content. Great building project, don’t you just love power tools? You certainly have learned how to use them and you made a little quail have a better life.
Yes, I love power tools - they can make ideas into reality, so great.

The quail enjoys her new studio very much, too.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yay, daffodils are coming!
15817.jpg

The weather today is friendly, so I grabbed some tools to clean up damaged plants - most of them are biennial.

15816.jpg

The damaged leaves and stems might cause a lot of troubles later, so getting rid of them is the best option.
15815.jpg

When there is no rain, I will spend one hour per day to clean up the garden and do the necessary pruning. Today's gardening work is done, and I am going to bake some toast loafs now. :love

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My daffodils are starting to bloom. I have a bunch of chores to do when the weather allows. I'm planning on taking over most of the yard for my garden this year. My husband thinks I'm bat crap crazy but he doesn't know what's good for him so oh well.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My daffodils are starting to bloom. I have a bunch of chores to do when the weather allows. I'm planning on taking over most of the yard for my garden this year. My husband thinks I'm bat crap crazy but he doesn't know what's good for him so oh well.
Daffodils in bloom-- how lovely. And turning your entire yard into garden sounds quite exciting to me. Just think of the possibilities!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
WE won't get any daffodils until March!

they start growing the previous fall, they may not poke above ground, but they are growing down there getting ready... once they do poke above ground they may just sit there like that for months waiting for it to really get warm enough.

Latest posts