Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am happy that you are able to grow starts in water. I have Never had success that way.
This year I planted sweet potatoes in 4 inches of dirt, the potatoes at the bottom, and got lots of starts.
They are waiting to go in their bed, but the bed isn't ready for them, yet.
I will prep the bed this week and get them in. It's going to be close to 100 degrees F for the next 4 days, lovely tropical sweet potato weather.
I always grow sweet potato shoots in water and transplant them for harvesting their leaves. So the main plants would keep their leaves for producing the roots, while the propagated ones grow a good amount of leaves for me (to stirfry).

However, it's very difficult here to get the slips from a sweet potato directly. Most of the sweet potatoes we can get here are imported. I ordered young plants from a specific nursery and would like to keep some harvest for sprouting next year.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Working in the garden almost all day, mowing, trimming, and cleaning
3854_0.jpg

I like this small border outside the hoop tunnel and expect those dwarf sunflowers to bloom.
3855(1).jpg

The new cycle starts, too. Tomorrow I would like to sow more vegetables and flowers.
3843_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Small Garden in Cologne

DH has two weeks' leave, so we have much more time to do things together. It's his first time having brunch in this garden. I will still say it's better than any place we can find in the surrounding.
3875.jpg

Look at these warmth-loving vegetables! They're really happy about the high temperature. We will have above 30°C/86°F here three days this week.
3874.jpg

In just about a month, the growth is so obvious.
3878.jpg

The "lazy onions" - just sat on the ground, and I used grass clippings to hold their positions. They are growing well, and their roots are already in the soil, no longer moveable. I will try the same way in our garden for potatoes and onions.
3872.jpg

Turmeric sprouts from the rhizomes bought from the supermarket
3870.jpg

Cucumbers start climbing on the quail coop. Bush beans are also growing quickly.
3873.jpg

Our small oasis, hidden in a big city
3876.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Small Garden in Cologne

The left side of the garden - hanging basket area
There are also containers on the ground - I sowed sugar peas, bush beans, and garlic (for harvesting garlic green).

Next time I am here, I will sow dwarf marigolds on the ground (right below those hanging baskets). So when I water the plants in the basket, the excessive water can go to the containers and the marigolds.
3897.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's never too old to learn. :D
3960.jpg

I dug out more bulbs, cleaned the plastic planters, added palletized manure, and buried the small Dahlia tubers. The planters have constraints, but now I realize how to use them best.

In late autumn, said end of November (after several touches of frost to avoid tulip fire), I will bury tulip bulbs so they can start to grow slowly. In spring, we can enjoy or sell the flowers.

From the beginning of June, bulbs would be gradually lifted after the plants die back. The planters would be cleaned up for Dahlias - they are not the best choices for hosting Dahlias; however, they are very suitable for those single or small tubers to grow into big clumps. In other words, those small/single tubers can be nursed well here, as long as I control the number of flowers.

Then, after the first frost, Dahlias would be lifted, and the planters would be prepared for tulip bulbs again.

Three beds are still waiting to be cleaned soon, and I will plant more Taiwanese basils, bush beans, and the rest of the Dahlia tubers.
3961.jpg

Harvested: Cauliflowers, broccoli, sugar peas, strawberries, pea shoots, parsley, and chamomiles.
3949.jpg

Also, some broad beans.
3952.jpg

3942.jpg

3943.jpg

Strawberries and pea shoots immediately became part of our brunch.
3941.jpg

3937.jpg

3938.jpg

I put the potted plants (Dahlias, Peonies) under the young fruit trees - It's the 8-10 sunlight zone. When we water the potted plants, the excessive water will also go to the fruit tree. Meanwhile, they can more or less block the weeds in the surrounding.
3935.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Small Garden in Cologne

The vegetables and fruits in the small garden are happy with the heat wave.
4021.jpg

As the "lazy onions" grow well, I buried five small sprouted potatoes inside the grass clipping. Let's see.
4017.jpg

In the full sunlight zone, I put one potted young fig tree and one potted zucchini - we can enjoy both their pretty leaves and delicious fruits.
4020.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My favorite photo today is the bee and the tiny asparagus flowers
4066.jpg

The sweet peas start to blossom.
4077.jpg

Each variety has its own fragrance, so charming!
4075.jpg

4079.jpg

4078_0.jpg

The efforts are all worthy.
4073.jpg

Sweet potatoes are ready to be transplanted.
4061.jpg

I lifted all tulip bulbs and let them rest in a cool and dark place so that they would dry in a few days. Then I can clean them up for storage. All the plastic planters are again fully booked.
4088.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love your brunch table in the garden. It will take me awhile, but I want a pretty yard, garden and an oasis. I love your beautiful gardens. You inspire me!
Let's inspire each other and build our oasis bit by bit. 🥰

Gardening is the master that teaches us patience. After three years, I finally saw the first Hayatama pear. This year, there are totally three pears growing.
4067.jpg

I guess it will take some more years to have a better harvest. I can't wait to see them ripe like the photo below.
1655583883091.png

Latest posts