Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Schleiden - Quick growth because of the sufficient rain recently
Different varieties of Bak Choy planted in the compost heap can be harvested soon. Who will be the next resident?
4603.jpg

With the insect protection net, they are even prettier than those I transplanted in the greenhouse.
4602.jpg

In the greenhouse - they can be harvested tomorrow.
4615.jpg

Roses are also on the way.
4616_0.jpg

4612.jpg

4607.jpg

Some of the pre-sprouting Dahlias were transplanted into bigger pots today, such as barefoot peonies. Instead of directly transplanting those new peonies into the soil, I decided to keep them in the pots this year.
4608.jpg

Dwarf sunflowers outside the hoop tunnel - somehow, I had a high expectation from them. It must be quite lovely if they blossom at a similar time.
4605_0.jpg

This bed is funny - after the harvest of spring leafy greens and asparagus, there are peas and fava beans. Then, it's potato time!
I can never clean all the mini potatoes from this bed; therefore, every year, there will always be volunteer potatoes growing from whatever was left last year.
4609.jpg

After the heat wave, the temperature drops at least 10°C, and we have rain almost every day. It's a blessing that I can move those warmth-loving ones to the garden in Cologne.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was checking some cuttings this evening, and wow, those from the florist's daisy really thrive! Look at their root systems!

**The one in the upper left corner is a variety of willow, also successfully survives.

All the florist daisy cuttings are from the same two mother plants, which I bought last autumn at Lidl. I never expected the propagation (from cuttings) to be easy.
2798.jpg

There were more propagated plants in the garden. I either transplanted them into bigger pots or in the bottomless pots. All of them are doing pretty well.

I will repot all of them later this week. Also, I will stop cutting from the mother plants so they can take some rest, too.

With this practice and results, I will definitely seek more beautiful varieties from the gardening center this autumn. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden in Cologne: The transformation keeps going.

Now, I fall in love with this garden again.

It's a small urban garden, but it's also the first gardening "school" I attended. I brought what I have practiced and learned here to our garden in Schleiden, and then a few years later, I am back as an "upgraded" gardener.
2938.jpg

Calendula that I sowed this spring and transplanted a couple of weeks ago, lovely.
2910.jpg

Two cuttings of florist's daisy - they were repotted to the 10L container and did very well. After they become matured plants, they can again offer cuttings for more plants. Isn't that amazing?
2941.jpg

Fresh spruce cuttings from the big garden - for the quails
2918.jpg

2916.jpg

Quails are very suitable for an urban garden - quiet and sweet. I will sell their eggs at the coming farmer's market - so they earn some dried black soldier fly larvae for their tea time treat. :love
2923.jpg

Mini Watermelon plants in the carton, so far so good.
2906.jpg

The eggplants also thrive - it's a right decision to move all warmth-loving plants here.
2909.jpg

The wildflower patch (carpet?) - it looks funny. :p Dahlias in the back are sprouting, too.
2934.jpg

It became a wonderful place to have breakfast (or coffee, tea, or any other meals).
2899.jpg

Gardening is lifelong learning and practicing. I'm blessed to have such wonderful opportunities.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What an inviting place! Wonderful to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, have a meal and admire the beauty that you have created.

The place that I am buying is a blank slate. They never planted anything, not a fruit tree, not a nut tree, not flowers, not a garden, not anything. She never has had a job, I can't imagine having all that time and not getting outside to make it better. There are shade trees, but they were already there and some may need trimming of dead limbs or maybe even cut down. First the inside of the house, then fence and shelter for my sheep and dogs, then surgery and recovery, look out when spring arrives! I want a gazebo!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What an inviting place! Wonderful to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, have a meal and admire the beauty that you have created.

The place that I am buying is a blank slate. They never planted anything, not a fruit tree, not a nut tree, not flowers, not a garden, not anything. She never has had a job, I can't imagine having all that time and not getting outside to make it better. There are shade trees, but they were already there and some may need trimming of dead limbs or maybe even cut down. First the inside of the house, then fence and shelter for my sheep and dogs, then surgery and recovery, look out when spring arrives! I want a gazebo!
I always spend hours in the garden, whether in Cologne or Schleiden. A garden is a place that full of life - it's like a magnet, always bringing me out.

Some people here will use the concrete to "seal" their gardens (a "stone" garden) and just put some containers or decorations upon the concrete. I guess never needing to deal with weeds is the major reason.

A gazebo would offer much more convenience and flexibility to enjoy time staying outdoors; absolutely a good investment~ I am ready to join you in your new kingdom. :love

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Next heat wave is approaching, so I harvested all these Bak Choy variety greens. I will plant them in late August, or try to find a full shade area if I miss them too much.
3104.jpg

Also some share for our chickens
3103.jpg

Meanwhile, I kept cleaning up the tulips from the raised beds. These almost die back. This is my first time digging out tulip bulbs - I have to say, I am quite surprised.

Many of them, although I didn't count, maybe 60% produced bulblets. In other words, there are not so many very big bulbs - it seems they gave certain energy to reproduce as possible.

Besides, in such a small raised bed (80x60x40cm), there are so many grubs! I threw at least 30 pieces to the chickens. Maybe they or other insects would take the bulbs as food?
3102.jpg

Anyway, new residents arrived. Now, this is the apartment for different cosmos young plants, all topped for encouraging the side shoots and more flowers in the future.
3096.jpg

Another bed for cut flowers - the cornflower will blossom soon. Wild carrots and sweet peas need another couple of weeks.
3097.jpg

The trial bed in Schleiden - using grass clipping as mulch. The effect of keeping moisture is so far pretty convincing. The residents include zinnia (topped), parsley, chili, salad green, and summer squash.
3099.jpg

Most of the seedlings and young plants are transplanted. I have two full trays of Brussel sprouts (flower sprouts) and purple broccoli (for overwinter) that are still staying in the greenhouse. Next week, I will repot them into 9cm nursery pots and sow the next batch of flowers and beans.

Let's call it a day, what a long day. I cleaned up my FIL's house when he was in the daycare center (He enjoyed a good time there and made new friends.).
3043.jpg

3107.jpg

Also some progress in the garden - I used the upper part of the wooden border on the left for hanging plants.
3069_0.jpg

The corner in the living room - After the table is moved to the other side, this corner became a tea/coffee room. There was a story about this change, I will update in the family restaurant thread tomorrow.
3039.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the tulips should only have the flower tops removed, but nothing else should be cut until the leaves have gotten to a fully dried state. if i'm lifting any bulbs i usually give them a week or two after they've died back.

as for the size of the bulbs that are left you can sometimes get flowers from the smaller ones too but it varies by variety as to how big those bulbs are if they'll flower. when you lift the bulbs if there are any that are going to flower they've already developed that flower bud inside the bulb. replant the largest ones and discard the rest or give them away as gifts that may eventually flower for someone else. if the tiny ones are grown with care for a few years they may eventally flower again.

to get reliable tulip flowers each year there are specific varieties which are better than others. and then there are some others which do better in hotter and drier climates for the summer which we don't get very often or i have the tulips in a garden that gets watered in the summer. it really pays to research before buying what kind of tulip you will get and if you have a chance of getting them to stay as larger bulbs. some will do better if buried deeper. in well drained soil that can be a challenge to provide in a formal garden with many other plants. then having them able to be dry and hot enough in the summer. some like to be lifted and dried out completely. others persist even if left alone in their original spot. all a learning adventure. :)

that said i have a few that have been in the same garden spot for 10 years and they're still blooming. others have come and gone and never returned. diseases and conditions will select for the survivors.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the tulips should only have the flower tops removed, but nothing else should be cut until the leaves have gotten to a fully dried state. if i'm lifting any bulbs i usually give them a week or two after they've died back.

as for the size of the bulbs that are left you can sometimes get flowers from the smaller ones too but it varies by variety as to how big those bulbs are if they'll flower. when you lift the bulbs if there are any that are going to flower they've already developed that flower bud inside the bulb. replant the largest ones and discard the rest or give them away as gifts that may eventually flower for someone else. if the tiny ones are grown with care for a few years they may eventally flower again.

to get reliable tulip flowers each year there are specific varieties which are better than others. and then there are some others which do better in hotter and drier climates for the summer which we don't get very often or i have the tulips in a garden that gets watered in the summer. it really pays to research before buying what kind of tulip you will get and if you have a chance of getting them to stay as larger bulbs. some will do better if buried deeper. in well drained soil that can be a challenge to provide in a formal garden with many other plants. then having them able to be dry and hot enough in the summer. some like to be lifted and dried out completely. others persist even if left alone in their original spot. all a learning adventure. :)

that said i have a few that have been in the same garden spot for 10 years and they're still blooming. others have come and gone and never returned. diseases and conditions will select for the survivors.
True, I didn't really study the bulbs I bought. In the beginning, I wanted to grow them as annual plants for cut flowers. However, I am much more interested in them and wish to study further now.

This morning I stayed in the garden for hours and dug out more bulbs. As you mentioned, different varieties, different growing conditions, including time, location, way of care, and even how deep they were buried in the soil - every element might contribute to the final results.

Ahh, it's so lovely, like a mini steamed bun!
4869.jpg

What I harvested this morning was planted in the containers full of compost last autumn. They had plenty of time to grow. I suddenly realized the "growing window" of tulips, from October till late January, would pose different effects.

I still have several hundred tulips that will gradually die back, and a whole new batch of bulbs will arrive this October. I will only keep the ones with 12cm in circumference.

For the smaller ones I collect till this weekend and dry properly in the greenhouse, I will put them into bags as free gifts for those who buy something from us in the coming farmer's market. Thanks @flowerbug for the great idea!

I am also considering planning the smaller ones near the garden shed and letting there become a domesticated tulip field in three to five years. If I really made up my mind one day to have a small booth on the weekly market (now less than ten booths, quite boring) in the town, I would definitely sell cut flowers, seedlings, and some propagated plants. :D

4867.jpg

Latest posts