Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I keep doing my propagation practices with what is available at hand. In fact, that's more than enough and a lot of fun.

The florist's daisy is amazing. I put all those tiny, tiny cuttings in a mini pot (5cm in height) and let them stay in a bright enough place but without direct sunlight. After a few weeks, they rooted.
4129_0.jpg

4130(1).jpg

4127.jpg

They were all in 7cm pots with other friends and got some seaweed feed.
4124_0.jpg

Last week, we bought a pot of BIO basil from the supermarket, something around 2 Euro. I pinched all top leaves for cooking immediately as this encourages the side shoots to grow. I divided them this evening and got 15 pots of plants.
4121_0.jpg

I am satisfied with the little work done this evening.
4120_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I enjoyed a very pleasant summer morning in the garden, pruned the Rododendron next to the willow tree, and cleaned up this small area.
4335.jpg

This is my third annual practice of pruning Rhododendron trees. When we bought the house, I didn't notice there were so many Rhododendron trees and Azaleas. I guess there are more than 20. Another thing I didn't realize is how quickly they can grow every year.

In the beginning, I just watched some videos and saw how to care for them. So, I started by deadheading them.
4332.jpg

It's suggested to do the deadheading and pruning before July because the flower buds will gradually form in early summer. When the cleaned-up is done too late, the risk of losing next year's flowers is there.

It's already the second half of June, and the new sets of leaves are already quite big.
4330.jpg

4331.jpg

Also, I suddenly understand that it's not only about deadheading. More important is - using this chance to closely evaluate and prune the Rhododendron. The purposes include maintaining sufficient growing space, ventilation, and a preferred outlook.

Besides deadheading, I removed the new set(s) of leaves growing in the unfavorable directions, like the photo below - among the three sets of young leaves; I only kept the ones at three and night o'clock directions.
4324.jpg

It looks better after the cleaning up. Tomorrow, I will feed them and cover the soil below with the old woodchips inside the chicken runs. Then, the work in this area will be done.
4326.jpg

The pruned materials all went to the new raised bed. Many of them are the greenwood from this year, with a good nutrition value. I will wait until the end of June so whatever inside sinks, then the compost and new soil go in. It is planned to be a bed for Peonies.
4316.jpg

A foldable table is such a helping hand in the garden.
4309.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The late afternoon is again an ideal time to work in the garden. As DH is on leave, we worked together for about one hour.

I found something that can make the thin-wall metal raised bed safe, and it just cost me about four euros and ten minutes.
4350.jpg

Et voilà, it's perfect now.
4351.jpg

Then, it's time for something that will always make us dirty. I enjoyed cleaning the garden with some basic tools, but, it's too big to take care of everything manually.
4362_0.jpg

Finally, tool cleaning - and let's call it a day.
4363_0.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sweet peas so pretty
There are wild carrots (dark red color), pink bachelor's buttons, and daisies in the same bed.
4491.jpg

Roses are also at their first peak.
4496.jpg

4506.jpg

4497.jpg

4508.jpg

Whenever I am at this corner, This made me laugh like hell - I grasped the seedlings in a hurry and....planted a pea instead of a sweet pea....
So now I have climbing roses accompanied by a pea! :lol:
4509.jpg

Now, most of my young trees get some friends - Dahlias and peonies. With this set-up, the young trees will get more water and feed.
4479.jpg

I removed those teenage plants as I cleaned up one small tulip bed last week. One important lesson I have learned this year is to take advantage of containers of all sizes - the flexibility they offer is really helpful.
4494.jpg

It's a bed for my favorite tulip variety - Ballerina. The tulips here have the biggest bulbs among all tulips I planted last autumn. Now they are resting in a dark space to dry out. I added half homemade compost and refilled this bed for broccoli, larkspur, one salad green, two sweet potatoes, and three florist's daisy cuttings.
4493.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The succession planting is going on, too.
The third batch of sunflowers, Romaine lettuces, tatsoi, and cluster mallow (to eat their leaves) - will be ready for transplantation in another two weeks.
4502.jpg

Those will be pricked out tomorrow and moved into the module trays.
4500_0.jpg

4501_0.jpg

I want to create a chive path, so the planting starts.
4504.jpg

I have already tried and succeeded in doing so directly in the raised beds. So, I will plant them in the nursery pots for the purpose—half soil, the entire dried head in, more soil, done.
4503.jpg

4499_0.jpg

A shy little guy
4507.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I kept preparing the new raised bed for planting in late August.
4944.jpg

With so much green material, the decomposing temperature is quite high, even without a cover.
4943.jpg

One neighbor gave me these and asked my help to make them a mixed salad and a bouquet - for their BBQ meeting with friends tomorrow. I love such kind of small business!
4942.jpg

So, after some gardening work, I harvested some flowers and let them start overnight conditioning in a dark room.

Rose and sunflower as hero flowers; bachelor's button and loosestrife as support flowers; yarrow as filler, amaranthus as spikes and foliage; fern and raspberry leaves as foliage - a colorful, rainbow summer bouquet.
4941.jpg

Three different colored yarrow
Ground elder and lady's mantle faded, and wild carrots need another two weeks to fully blossom - yarrows become the best filler flowers.
4940.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A bright summer day - the temperature in Cologne is always higher than in Schleiden, so many plants have a lot more progress, too.

The hanging basket area is quite established, and it's time to enjoy the colorful display.
4972.jpg

Eventually, this house will be sold, so container planting is the best option. It's constrained, but limitations are not necessarily the showstoppers. In this area, there are french beans, peas, garlic (for greens), turmeric (my target is the flower), mint, rosemary, potato, zucchini, pumpkin, kumquat, calamondin, and Bottle Gourd.
4974.jpg

In the vegetable patch, there are corns, potatoes, melons, watermelons, tomatoes, french beans, cucumbers, grape, eggplants, and okras.
4984.jpg

Behind the mini pond, there are a small fig tree, two chili plants, and one zucchini.
4967.jpg

Onions are growing between the sunflowers and amaranthus (they are planted as cut flowers). So, this garden is expected to produce at least 25 different ingredients - quail eggs, fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
4963.jpg

Cucumbers started to climb on the quail run - they did peck the leaves from time to time. These cucumbers offer extra protection from wind and rain on the south side.
4980.jpg

Besides one climbing rose and one shrub rose, there are lilies, hollyhock, Geranium, sunflowers, wild carrots, florist's daisy, hydrangeas, asters, and amaranthus. I also added a Dahlia patch, so at least 15 varieties can be harvested as cut flowers.

As Dahlias are safe plants for quails, it will also be ok if they peck on the leaves. When Dahlias grow up further, they will also offer shade and protection from the east side. They are planted in the bottomless 10 Liter pots, so reaching the soil for different nutrients they need in the late stage will be fine.

With the containers, it will be easier for me to harvest their tubers in autumn and bring them back for storage.
4977.jpg

The lilies I planted five years ago now are about 2 meters high and about to blossom.
4975.jpg

Florist's Daisy in the bottomless pot - they were propagated from 7~8cm tiny cuttings and now are robust plants, about 35cm in height.
4968.jpg

Turmeric with lovely leaves!
4970.jpg

Gardening is about creating with constraints - it's always challenging but so much fun.