Phaedra's Garden 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Phaedra, YOU, the energizer bunny deSERVES a rest.
Btw, it took 15 years in my bed to kill my first sage. Whenever I make poultry, I like to go outside in the winter and pick leaves from the one there.
Enjoy Christmas and New Years.
We'll all catch you sometime after the 1st, :hugs

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Half of the plants in the greenhouse died during the first few days of the last cold spell. When I noticed that and moved them into an unheated room, it was already too late. The stems or even the roots are frozen and fully damaged.

I cleaned up the dead plants and the greenhouse today. The survivors included mints, MUMs, parsley, roses, asters, garlic, onions, and half of the garden geraniums (damaged, need to remove most of the leaves).
1455.jpg

1454.jpg

1456.jpg

I will keep cleaning the greenhouse for the coming two weeks and planning the sowing schedule for 2023.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That’s too bad you had such damage Phaedra! In the past i’ve had some things sun scald during hardening and even though i wanted to and worked hard at saving them; they went away and were replaced. It hurts when we put so much effort into them and suffer loss.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That’s too bad you had such damage Phaedra! In the past i’ve had some things sun scald during hardening and even though i wanted to and worked hard at saving them; they went away and were replaced. It hurts when we put so much effort into them and suffer loss.
Yes, I was a bit shocked but learned a lesson, too. Either I would use the heater (I bought something called "Frostwächter (literally, frost guard)" last week) or bring those not-that-hardy ones indoors.

Also, those growing outdoors suffered a lot, so I decided to build a polytunnel next year. I guess we have to be even more adaptive as the weather becomes more and more unpredictable.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had temperatures of 11F here last week. I had no garden to freeze, but the winter grasses got frozen. The good news is the winter grasses will recover and put on new growth, but still have January and February to go.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dinner plate size dahlias can sometimes go an entire season with only one late bloom, for us here.

Do you not have the Show & Tell this year, Phaedra?

Screenshot 2023-09-04 122911.jpg
Last season's picture but it's raining and I'm avoiding getting wet going out with the camera to the front yard ;).

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The dinner plate size dahlias can sometimes go an entire season with only one late bloom, for us here.

Do you not have the Show & Tell this year, Phaedra?

View attachment 60281
Last season's picture but it's raining and I'm avoiding getting wet going out with the camera to the front yard ;).

Steve
No...I guess my Show N Tell was one of the victims that murdered by the voles before they have the chance to blossom. 😭

Latest posts