Phrase Tobacco Road

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When leaving country yesterday I grabbed the mail in my box. Going though the mail I got a unsigned note, everyone on my street gets them.. We all know it is from the old lady who lives across from me, and laugh about them. I don't understand her opening line in note " This is not Tobacco Road " What or where is Tobacco road ? What has her upset is in my SIDE yard I am tiring to kill grass with cardboard. The grass is sandwich between my well and stream so didn't want to use chemicals. It is in a area enclosed by Iron trellis and vines. This is not in my front yard, I have been saving boxes cutting them open laying on grass. Do tobacco farmers dry their tobacco on large sheets of cardboard ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a "hillbilly" dig. Tobacco Road is often used to describe N. Carolina road between Duke and UNC. I suppose it has been used for other roads in the south as well.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, tobacco leaves are dried, called curing, hanging over slatting in buildings with (Shoot, a photo works faster)

images
images

In the nearby town of Evansville, WI tobacco was once a main crop and Tobacco Days is an annual celebration. Tobacco Road is the name of a famous book that showed the lives and terrible living conditions of the sharecroppers who lived in the main tobacco growing area in the early 20th century. That growing area became known as Tobacco Road.

I fear she is suggesting you're creating a slum condition in the neighborhood. Perhaps if she knew why you chose that way of removing your weeds and grasses. . . . Otherwise, you could cover the cardboard with straw and set pots of colorful flowers in that area.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red I think your right about slum. I looked up the book and read plot summary, sounded interesting think I am going to read the book. LOL she refereed to me as poor white tenant farmer, I have been called so much worse !!!!!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, can she see your side yard? I thought she might have been referring to your smoking. ;) Cigarette smoke can travel a large distant. I can actually smell it from my neighbor when he's smoking inside his house and his window is open. I can't stand cigarette smoke and usually have to come in when that happens.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too bad she will not just come ask why the cardboard is there. Then you can assure her it will not be there forever and you did not want to harm the environment with chemicals. Maybe leave her a note in her box explaining things. :idunno

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
She might appear to be a fussy busy-body, but should someone stop by to take your new gates, she'll be watching that, too. If she wouldn't be happier with the gates being gone, she will call the police for a full report. Waddya think?

Latest posts