Pickling question

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Crealcritter Wait...there's a 1/2 sour? What's the difference in terms of taste? I've never actually done my own pickles before. I've eaten my grandma's pickles and she shipped me all her recipes, but so far every year for cukes has been a failure.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Very interesting thread. I have made a spicy sweet pickle, my great grandmother's recipe, since I was in high school. Best pickles ever! I posted the recipe here on TEG, @canesisters uses that same recipe now for her pickles. I can't imagine a hamburger without them!

Here is a link to the recipe

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threa...r-yall-that-are-tired-of-soggy-pickles.12510/
I know what you mean!! Makes you proud when your family puts the pickles on their burgers and then steals more pickles to eat from the jar. I will check out your recipe!! :hugs

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to try that recipe. If I could lick this powdery mildew I'd have a bumper year. :(

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@AMKuska, I wonder if your garden Location lacks enough ventilation. Where I live it is flat as a board and we have breezes almost 365. I don't have powdery mildew in my beds bc they don't have anything to block the wind. (I also garden in spots on the one acre that isn't my horses's turnout.) I DO get mildew and mold next to buildings every year. It was SO WET last summer that my horses didn't drain their water tank every 2 years (as is normal) bc they were getting almost all their water from the dew in the pastures. We live in a "reclaimed swamp" and KNOW wet!
Maybe you need raised beds? Just brainstorming...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska, I wonder if your garden Location lacks enough ventilation. Where I live it is flat as a board and we have breezes almost 365. I don't have powdery mildew in my beds bc they don't have anything to block the wind. (I also garden in spots on the one acre that isn't my horses's turnout.) I DO get mildew and mold next to buildings every year. It was SO WET last summer that my horses didn't drain their water tank every 2 years (as is normal) bc they were getting almost all their water from the dew in the pastures. We live in a "reclaimed swamp" and KNOW wet!
Maybe you need raised beds? Just brainstorming...

Sorry it took me this long to get back to you. I believe you have hit the nail on your head, as you've exactly described my garden location. My large garden is right beside my house. We live in a very moist environment (Washington after all) and it's flat.

If ventilation is all it needs I'm sure I could fix it!

Latest posts