pics from my xc ski day

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
WOW, sun was out today! Got out cross-country skiing, took some pictures to show ya'll how much snow we have. This is an average year for us. I also stopped at one of my favorite spots to watch ducks, and got some decent pics of them. Full disclosure - I'm learning to use some photo editing software, if they look weird or fake let me know, I'm still figuring out what all the buttons do!

3 hooded mergansers and a common goldeneye (front left)
hooded mergansers wf river 2.jpg

Eagle flyover! I know this is blurry but I can't believe I even caught a picture of him at all.
035.JPG

Bufflehead pair
031.JPG

Burlington Northern train along the lake.
022.JPG

More snow moving in.
020.JPG

Probably 2 and a half feet of snow on top of this sign. More on the ground!
019.JPG

The planks they make the picnic tables out of are 3" thick to stand up to all the snow load!
018.JPG

A Dipper! (Water ouzel) It was fun watching him root around for bugs in this shallow spot.
016.JPG
014.JPG

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, the dipper was diving into deeper water when i first arrived. In this shallow area he was grabbing things and shaking them around, rooting in the mud! I also saw a Barrow's Goldeneye, mallards, and a Wilson's Snipe.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a fabulous day for bird watching. We are lucky that lots of eagles are around here. But nowhere near as stunning views. Awesome.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd never survive being a Northern bird. I'd fly south and stay there.
I fly to my yard, because the kind lady that lives there would feed me.
Oh, I feel a time lord type of paradox in there somewhere. :/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You certainly do have amazing views! I can appreciate your snow so much more than mine, because I don't have to shovel yours! Indeed Thistle, snow and sun- what could be better? Such a beautiful combination...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What majestic views! I love the snow on the sign-it looks like a fluffy pillow!

Unfortunately I have a bigger fluffy pillow than that on my garage! :hide

The photos look great!, well the eagle could have slowed down a bit, hard shot to get. It would be sooo nice to have open water in Winter. Beautiful shots of the ducks! The highlight of my duck sightings was a Canvasback on my pond.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dipper birds are cute, single-minded critters.

Joining them down on the riverside or along the tiniest mountain creek is special. Sit too quiet and close and you could almost think they'd be checking under your shoes for bugs.

Heather, your life there is a blessing. For us out here in cyberspace, too! If you continue to show us a little of your western Montana world :).

Steve

Latest posts