pics of your bunny set ups please...

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We got a new bunny and was thinking of adding to the cage. can you show me pics of your rabbit cages please. would love to see them in relation to your gardens...:bun

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gosh I hate to see a post go without a reply, I really do. I am not sure why no one has responded yet, but I am sure they will soon.

I have two male Dutch bunnies, they are both brothers, and they are both neutered. They will be 3-years-old this coming Fall.

I am afraid that my set-up wont be of any help at all, you see my bun-buns live in their own apartment. LOL They even have their own refrigerated window air-conditioner. :cool::cool:

This is a building that I attached to my pre-existing storage building. It was originally my Rooster den, then I finally managed myself down to one rooster and he now lives with the hens on the other side of the property. Then it was to become my ColdHouse/Greenhouse, although it is my most shaded spot in the yard in the summer. I was thinking more in the lines of winter gardening. That's when the bun-bun's arrived. :p Thomas and Ziggy.

This is what it looked like when the roosters were in there
rjjxua.jpg

Since then the rabbits have transformed that very cute gardening in the flight area. It is now a few bales of straw with a secret tunnel down under the ground with 3 entrances, one from an interior side door. The building has a concrete floor. While they excavated they moved a pile of dirt which they seem to be quite happy with creating. I am happy they can stay busy all day and focused; it makes for happy bunnies. :)

1624s4w.jpg

I placed some old concrete pieces along the inner edge of the flight. They have never attempted to dig near the edge or try to get out. The flight itself is covered in fencing too to prevent a hawk or other larger predator. A skunk could visit them, a squirrel often does, I doubt a cat can fit through (maybe a young one), but no larger ones like foxes and coyotes.
2zje0eg.jpg

Rabbits are incredible little souls. I have learned how important it is not to offend the bunnies and to remain their loyal devoted friend. They live such short lives, I cannot imagine not having a rabbit; the friendship and the benefits of bunny poopies in the garden! :p

Here is Thomas cooling off with a block of ice. This was before the air-conditioner was installed. I would freeze gallon jugs and place them around for them to lay next to as well. Here we can reach in excess of 100 degrees in the Summer.
2gxpb1i.jpg

Here is Ziggy
30vnkn4.jpg

One day I may get that greenhouse/coldframe, but in the meantime these guys can have this space forever.

Here is what the pad looks like today (this morning).
2dtnn8o.jpg

You can see they have made themselves at home and all the soil that they are displacing. The tunnel runs along the side of the building towards the cameras position, so my building and concrete floor they have moved away from that point. They can go into the building and down their tunnel without ever coming outside since it lies behind the bales of straw. My soil is river bottom gumbo clay, and surprizingly these guys have reached below 3ft and are bringing up the fine river bottom sand that exists below it. Such a nice resource for my potted plants!

Bunnies as you know are quite litter trained (like instinct), so if you provide them with a cat litter box and put wood-shavings in it, they will use that spot only for pee and poop. Seriously, these guys have been in there for 3 years and there is no poop or pee everywhere (well, maybe a little bit :p). I keep the litter tray in the building, and it is emptied into my compost pile twice a week. :D:D

Thomas peeking to see what I am trying to do, just his litter box, and the entrance to the secret tunnel!
312i8hw.jpg

The super secret Ultra Operational Bunny Hole!
2sbse1e.jpg

Take care, I hope to see more Bunny Pictures from everyone soon. Afterall, bunnies are the perfect gardener's companion!

Ron

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very interesting! My daughter had a bunny, which we kept in the house... I had no idea, they would dig like that! What lucky buns you have, that set up looks grand, Ron. Do you get enough bunny poop from two rabbits to make a difference in your garden? Can't wait to see more!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Do you get enough bunny poop from two rabbits to make a difference in your garden?
I clean the litter box twice a week because by then it is completely full of poop and saturated. It does add up fast and turns into Magic!

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron that is a wonderful set up!

Seeing these posts all ways seems to end up in a new project on my ever growing list.

"The super secret Ultra Operational Bunny Hole!" :lol:
This reminds me of Hogan's Hero's . :gig

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:love WOW! that is an awesome setup you have. Now I'm day dreaming of what mine can turn into! :rolleyes:
Our bunny is all alone. they told us he is 2 years old. I was wondering if he should have a buddy. and if so is it easy to introduce them together?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TheNewBee said:
Our bunny is all alone. they told us he is 2 years old. I was wondering if he should have a buddy. and if so is it easy to introduce them together?
I really wouldn't know how to direct you from here. I am a great gardener but a lousy bunny therapist.

Here is a site that might help you break through to your bunny's world. It teaches people how to read bunny sign language and body language.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ This will provide hours of fun reading.

Ron

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
just thought I'd let you know that my daughter has been loving the site you listed! she's reading pancakes ear signals. thanks for a great resource. :thumbsup

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even your BUNNIES are spoiled! Seeing how cool your set-up is makes me want rabbits all over again.....well, almost!

Latest posts