Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC01685.JPG

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found one grasshopper the other day that was massive. I thought I almost stepped on a toad, but it was really a grasshopper that had an abdomen the size of my thumb and was the length of my middle finger. I showed it to my husband and even he couldn't believe it was that large.

I kind of wonder how it did get that large. Was it eating the little guys? 🤔

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...I kind of wonder how it did get that large. Was it eating the little guys? 🤔

grasshoppers don't normally eat other grasshoppers but there is some references saying that they will eat some dead animals at times so perhaps they'd eat a dead grasshopper? dunno for sure, but kinda doubt it. just that they get big at this time of the year. we get some nice sized ones here too. :)

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
grasshoppers don't normally eat other grasshoppers, but there are some references saying that they will eat some dead animals at times so perhaps they'd eat a dead grasshopper? dunno for sure, but kinda doubt it. just that they get big at this time of the year. we get some nice sized ones here too. :)
I have never seen one that big. If it had time to keep growing, I think I could ride it soon—no pesticides or chemicals around here to enhance it either.

Latest posts