Pictures of my garden-I kinda went crazy with the camera!

chickcritty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Kim, I usually eat them when they're black, but I was able to let one ripen to red. I couldn't tell the difference in flavor because I cut them up and mixed them together when I cooked them.

GPN, I bought the peppers as plants so I'll have to wait until I can dry some of the fruits before I can send you any. The rattlesnake beans sound interesting. Are they used mostly as dried beans or do people eat them as green beans?

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chickcritty said:
Kim, I usually eat them when they're black, but I was able to let one ripen to red. I couldn't tell the difference in flavor because I cut them up and mixed them together when I cooked them.

GPN, I bought the peppers as plants so I'll have to wait until I can dry some of the fruits before I can send you any. The rattlesnake beans sound interesting. Are they used mostly as dried beans or do people eat them as green beans?
We eat them as green beans and momma shells some when they dry out in the garden and addes them to her green beans. If you pm me your address I will get them in the mail tomorrow

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your garden.

I am getting chicks too! Are yours lace wyandotts? I am thinking of australops, sussex, easter egger and a delawre.

My chicks will be SO illegal so I am looking for quiet, non-broody breeds. Any ideas? Do your birds eat your garden? I had a real cucumber beetle problem this summer and thought that maybe the chickens could have helped?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everything looks so good... This time of year, my garden is pretty well shot in many areas. I struggle to just keep the poor things alive!

The last photo of the hen in the basket is GREAT!!!

chickcritty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
GPN- I sent you a PM - Thanks so much!

hiker125- Yes, they are silver laced wyandottes. I can't tell how loud they're going to be yet, because they're still young. My australorps are pretty quiet and my orpington is pretty noisy. Of course they all make noise especially when they start laying eggs, some are just noisier than others. I have my veggie garden fenced off from the hens, but once in a while I let them in there to forage for bugs (now that everything in there is established). I have found a few beak marks on some tomatoes, eggplant and peppers but nothing too bad.

rebbetzin- I lived in the Phoenix area for about 7 years and I have to say I do not miss the heat at all. I do miss the sunsets though and the monsoons were pretty cool too!

Latest posts