Pineapples from the greenhouse

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a copycat Cat. You said I would need patience, but I thought I would speed up the process, so I ordered a plant on eBay. I thought I would get a tiny plant, but I was totally surprised when I opened the box today. The plant is a Kona Sugarloaf and only cost me $5.99 plus shipping. It is supposed to have been grown by tissue culture. At some point I intend to start my own plant though. Also, as I can not bear the thought of going six months without the taste a homegrown tomato, I have one of them going also.
jackb

FYI ... 2 weeks ago my wife baught 3 nice and ripe pinapples from a local small grocery store that specializes in fruits and vegetables ... price 3 for $6. The only labor that I had to throw in was slice and dice them and enjoy. :drool

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm wrote: FYI ... 2 weeks ago my wife baught 3 nice and ripe pinapples from a local small grocery store that specializes in fruits and vegetables ... price 3 for $6. The only labor that I had to throw in was slice and dice them and enjoy. :drool

If you think about that, you could do the same with all of your vegetables, fruits, and flowers, then you would not have to garden at all. You could spend your days watching TV. ;)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb do you have Adams Family Farm near you? Was in the one in Poughkeepsie, they had large ( 3 to 4 feet) twisted olive trees 75% off. They looked like nice healthy trees.
There are none that I know of. At this point I have all of the olive trees I need, and then some. :rolleyes:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm wrote: FYI ... 2 weeks ago my wife baught 3 nice and ripe pinapples from a local small grocery store that specializes in fruits and vegetables ... price 3 for $6. The only labor that I had to throw in was slice and dice them and enjoy. :drool

If you think about that, you could do the same with all of your vegetables, fruits, and flowers, then you would not have to garden at all. You could spend your days watching TV. ;)
Jackb ... after a lifetime of laboring in my garden and orchard , I finally got the message. When one adds up the true cost of seeds / starts, land, addatives, fertilizers, compost, amendments, pesticides, herbicides, equipment, and / or their substitutes and your time , plus the price of pain killers, chiropractor , back and knee braces, straw hats, etc. , one's cost outstrips what one can just go and buy at the grocerystore and/ or farmer's markets. The only thing that I now do is in high value crops, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, elderberries, bearberries, that I can then convert to liquors, deserts , canned / frozen goods, etc. ... This year's berry crop , in addition to snacking or for desert fresh off the bush / vine, I have frozen in our freezer, 20+/- lbs. of blueberries, and 45 +/- lbs. and counting of strawberries ready to convert into pies, jams, jellies, or liquid refreshments. :thumbsup My elderberry crop was just picked clean by bluejays within just an hour yesterday morning while I wasn't home. :barnie

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOPE !!! I learned about the $ 64 tomatoes the hard way with value added blisters in the school of hard knocks.
Bobm, we don't do it for the money or because veggies are cheaper to grow. We all agree that some of our stuff is cheaper to buy even organic than growing it ourselves.

Mary
So Mary, are you getting ready to give away your fuschea colored glasses and come to the dark side ?

Latest posts