Pinterest frustration

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
. . . a portfolio of sorts. In case the house burned down or the computer blew up or something. . .
And, we are all advised again & again to "back up" those important pictures and, likely more important, files. Where have I got some important files, letters & such? In a file cabinet and on CD's. Both, something of a bother to access and how are they going to be protected from fire or theft?

I mentioned "clipboard.com" above. That service, from what I've read, allows utilitarian sorts of things. You can upload a document to it or, even, type something out right on your board. You can also save images. Boards are personal and secure from other eyes -- unless you invite another user.

Text storage on Pinterest? I tried putting on a couple of scans uploaded from my computer. With one they said "not an image" but when I clicked "pin it" - they did. I now have a receipt on my secret board (Yeah, I started one of those ;).) The other scan was an old photo taped to a piece of paper. You can't see anything on the Pinterest board except my description. It is blank. If you click it - there's the scan!

These things are all new, Smiles. I'm reading emagazine articles on services that didn't exist before November, 2012. Evernote is something of a "granddaddy" and has been around since 2008 . . . but, couldn't do nearly as much as it does now. There's all this competition between services. I'm still wondering if any of this will work for me and which way I would go . . .

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. See TEG is a good place to come and discuss life's trials and tribulations any time. To let you in on a little secret . . . I sorta exaggerated my complaints in the OP :idunno . I really do think Pinterest is fun to browse but I also have no clue what I'm doing when I'm browsing there and I'm struggling to find my way. It's the dead-days-of-winter and I'm always looking for something to do since it so blasted cold out in the barn workshop. I guess it's cabin fever. I know I have lots to do out there to get ready for springtime and all I can do is stay close to the wood stove (it's 6F out there now) and look through old Mother Earth News, Foxfire, Backwoods Home, and fishing magazines. Then I hit upon a topic that gets me all pumped up and I get up and run around the house like I have a hyper activity disorder until the inspiration subsides.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, you can also use the search box in the upper left corner to look for specific things. I typed in "auto repair" just out of curiousity, and sure enough, there ARE guy topics on Pinterest. :lol:

If you're running out of magazines to read, try "Countryside". It's one of my favorites. Homesteading stuff, gardening, livestock, all sorts of hands-on things. A lot of the articles are contributed by the readers. I learn a lot from it. For example, I didn't know how to get a good slick seasoning on my cast iron pans until I read all about it in there.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
<snip> For example, I didn't know how to get a good slick seasoning on my cast iron pans until I read all about it in there.
Wow! That would be worth the subscription all by itself. I don't usually have trouble getting a good seasoning on our castiron but one of the skillets has a grainy texture and is not as non-stick as the others. Thanks.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard that the newer ones are made differently and are harder to get slick. They say if you can get your hands on a rusty old Griswold or Wagner to re-season you've struck gold. One of these days when I have more time and money on my hands, I'm gonna start haunting estate auctions with that in mind.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I've heard that the newer ones are made differently and are harder to get slick. They say if you can get your hands on a rusty old Griswold or Wagner to re-season you've struck gold. One of these days when I have more time and money on my hands, I'm gonna start haunting estate auctions with that in mind.
Just be careful of that, some people use old cast iron for melting lead, I don't know how you would be able to tell.
I have a begun a collection of new iron, my DH gets me a piece every Christmas, and even the preseasoned iron needs more to get it nice and slick. A lot of it is Lodge and I'm happy with it.

Awhile back Boggy posted directions on seasoning, I'll see if I can find the link..... okay, found it, beavis also posted directions on that thread.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30029

Latest posts