Pinterest frustration

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need help. I tried to go to pinterest this morning just to browse. I found several interesting things (although it appears to geared more for the ladies) and decided to join or register or something.

I selected a screename, password, and filled out all the rest of the questions. Then it said that I must pick 5 thingamajigs and I did that. Then it says I must make a board and that's where I stubbed my toe. I selected a board name from the "something else" catagory and clicked NEXT. I got a #502 error screen and it said that there is a problem and the only option was to "try again". I tried again about a million times (maybe more) and I still get the #502 screen. In my frustration I bailed out and went outside to feed the animals. Now it's a few hours later and all I can get is the #502 error screen.

Is pinterest worth all this trouble? What should I do next? Thanks.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister and many friends LOVE to pin htings. I have had the same luck as you! So frusterated I have not tried again. I hope to see soething in the answers you get to help me, too. (As sis has not come over to help as asked. ) harumph.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I must have been the most recent person to mention an interest in Pinterest, Smiles.

Knowing what the trouble you are having is, is beyond me, however! I think someone should be along soon and guide you on the way into the site . . .

Yes, they said something about following other boards. Okay. I saw NOAA & NASA and thought, "Wow! Those are really beautiful pictures!" And, that seems to be what Pinterest is good for: saving pictures - other people's pictures altho' I'm sure you can move some from your own photo gallery to share. And there is the other thing Pinterest is for: sharing.

Anyway, I found boards with some delightful pictures and "followed." Then, "pinned" a few of those that I've come across on the web. I'm mostly interested in saving pictures of simple architecture, cabins & things. Suddenly, I had all of these Space & Sky pictures showing up amongst these simple cabins and treehouses on my board!!!! I unsubscribed & deleted all of them!

There are sub-boards (or, whatever they call them). Maybe, I should have gone that way with the cabins & treehouses. I don't mind sharing - nothing I've got is of any more than a personal interest.

There is a great deal of redundancy out there. Surprisingly so! Let's say that you have an interest in steam locomotives. After you have looked at, say, 50 or 60 pictures and saved 12 or 15 that you like the best, you'll find the same photo's over and over and over again! That's okay. You've got your 15 and can add to them easily as you come across others. But, it will soon take a lot of looking. I don't want others to just throw stuff up on my board, randomly. Maybe they thought it was great to put "Thomas the Tank Engine" on their board. I doesn't mean that I want Thomas on mine!

Recently, I came across a news story about Clipboard.com. Apparently, you can save documents to it easily. I suppose, you can do a "screen capture" of any news story, or whatever, and post it to Pinterest or to Clipboard but the latter is supposed to be better at something like that. Now, that appeals to me! I'm forever "bookmarking" something and then forgetting about it! Clipboard might be a real good way to organized things visually. Don't know, haven't tried it.

Steve

ETA: Here is my Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/mr20digits/structures

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Neanderthals like myself, when we get to an internet site that doesn't work after a few tries, well, too bad for the site. Someone else will make a similar site that does work better.

My suggestion is never go to that pinterest site again, or at least wait a couple years. Maybe they'll fix their bugs by then.

Thanks for the heads up about them!

There is a thing you can do if you really feel like getting the site to work. Write an email to the CEO and tell them to fix it. Talking to CEO's requires different language! You have to use words like Mission Statement and advertiser acceptability, Cost versus gain, quality control, user frustration levels, and counterproductive word of mouth, and you have to talk to them with teeth, you know, make sure your coffee has kicked in just right.

You can also inform some of the watcher sites such as Klout.com of pinterest's user unfriendliness.

The days of full page error messages have been gone for well over a year now. Technically a bit here, pages are made in sections, modules. Each module loads in a different part of your hard drive. If one module won't load, the rest of the modules should. The important function modules take first priority at loading in good sites. Advertisement modules have lower priority of loading. So, advertising moduyles are made to be simple so they will not fail to load.

Unscrupulous sites have complex advertising modules, that they allow to have priority to load. When that happens, the site you went to may not load its important functions, while the advertiser functions do load. Those are sites to avoid.

Now, I'm not saying this Pinterest site is doing that, at least on purpose. Other things can do it. Advertisers can put in modules that are more complex than the page, or that interfere with the page's operation. This would mean pinterest is not doing enough control, or maybe something as simple as one of their "coder" people fell asleep at the helm.

Long and short of it is, because of any of the reasons above, it sounds like a site to avoid. (Yes, I did take computer programming, waaaaay back in the early 1980's, cobol and basica. Though I have not memorized the formats and languages used now, I follow that we went from dos to an early module system of apache, to the very fine apache system, that is now replaced with multi language scripted modules). There still are some Apache sites. Their simplicity is so refreshing!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't remember having to chose five "thingys" when I joined, and I have never given information about myself, except e-mail address and those type things. I thought a board was created when you click on "pin it" or "repin it". Then it gives you a choice of creating a board to pin it to. I make a new board for each category of stuff, name the board something like "Interesting Places" or "Things I want to Make" Then when you find something else that fits in that category that you want to pin, you just use the drop down box to choose a board you have previously named. I hope this helps.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys are hilarious! Why would I want to go anywhere else? Pinterest is history.

Steve - you said that you saw NOAA and NASA. I didn't see anything like that. All I saw was some jewelry, some home made knitted hats with flowers on them, and some paper cutouts. So maybe I was in the wrong area. Oh well I guess I didn't miss anything great.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to receive an 'invite' to join pinterest, I couldn't just sign in. :(

However, when pinterest is WAY over run with people using it (peak times) you get a lot of errors. Those are the times I try not to both using it. Weekends and Friday nights are the worse.

Anyways.... try a skip option, allow pinterest to suggest a name for the board, or change the board name you chose... or even put it under another catorgory like 'gardening' which you will probably use more often.

Good luck, I just like having so much stuff saved I didn't bookmark on my browser. Not to mention there is an image to remind me what it is, and I can put in a description.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love pinterest. I would try again...Check out the gardening section and I promise you at least an hour of happiness!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I love pinterest. I would try again...Check out the gardening section and I promise you at least an hour of happiness!
I agree with Lesa. I would try again - I've found so many ideas, helpful articles and fun projects on Pintrest. I have several boards that I refer back to for articles on different websites and for yummy recipes that I've found. I have several boards and a lot of followers. I love my Pintrest!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pick 5 to follow thing was annoying. I went back and "unfollowed" those after I had a couple of friends and other interesting things to follow. (Otherwise you'd have nothing on your main page to look at when you log in.) The options they give you when you first sign up are the things that are most trendy at the moment, so there was very little in that selection that actually interested me. But once you start combing catagories and doing a few word searches, you'll find boards/people to follow that are more your style.

Yes, talk about discrimination...haha. They really need a whole other pinterest for guys! :p

ETA: On following: You can choose to follow a person--everything they post. Or you can choose to follow just one of their boards, say you only want to see what they post under "Recipes" or whatever. Hope that helps.

Latest posts