Pinterest frustration

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Peeps! Long time no see! :)

The late fall and winter months for me are always a blur, and I just don't have a lot of time to check in here. So, I thought I'd pop by today and see what's UP!

I love Pinterest!
http://pinterest.com/annawight/

Who you choose to follow really defines what you see on your "followers" page. But you don't have to follow anyone .... you can just use your own boards as visual reminders for yourself.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hu
Why would anyone go through all that frustration to get to pinterest when we already have TEG???:tools

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love to go to the "animals" category, to get my daily "awww, too cute!" dose. Don't believe everything you see on there, tho. Photoshop is alive and well.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not a Pinterest kind of guy. I finally got registered and now if I go there all I do is move around to look at stuff I don't really want to look at. I guess when I signed up and I had to pick several categories it filled my page or pages or book or something with useless stuff. I'm completely lost. Is there a way to get rid of stuff? Is the opening screen that I get when I go there called a page, a book, or what? What does re-pin mean? I wish I could find an un-pin somewhere. What is the purpose of Pinterest? Please help an old man out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am really a novice . . . uh, pinner (?).

The "purpose" is if you want to "steal" pictures off the internet, along with a link to where you got them, whatever description you want to write, and put them all in one place. The place is called a board.

You can "repin" by taking a picture from some other person's Pinterest board and putting it on your board.

Let me give you an example of what you might use it for. Let's say you have an interest in historic photographs of several towns in your state. You can go to a library, university or state government online archive and take those pictures and put them on your Pinterest board. Maybe there is a series of photographs of a downtown. You don't have to take the ones that don't hold much interest to you. You've always got the link back to the page where you got them in the first place so if there was another building or different angle that you want to look at - back you go with just a click.

Pinterest has a "Pin It" button which can be downloaded to the bookmark bar on your browser. That button allows to just "grab" a picture on whatever webpage you are looking at. Just about any image is available for you to take and put on your board with a couple of clicks.

You could put an aerial view of all your favorite fishing locations on a board. Then, wait until you had taken a look at each one before deciding where you are going to show up with your rod early the next morning.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, from your main page where you see all the stuff, you can click on the name of the other "pinner". It will be in the little grey box at the bottom of each picture and the pinner's avatar is beside it. Click on their name and it will open a new page showing all their boards. There is a surreptitious little grey box in the middle at the top that says "Unfollow All".

Here is a problem I had with mine:
The leading cause of confusion over pins in the homefeed is group boards. If you are following a group board, your homefeed will contain pins from anyone pinning to that board, so it's common to see pins from pinners you don't recognize. Group board pins may also be more noticeable since pinning is more frequent.
If you've run into that, you can fix it following the directions here. You would just unfollow that particular board.

Hope that helps!

ETA: You don't even have to follow anyone at all if you don't want. A lot of people use Pinterest as their own personal scrapbook, as Steve described with his fishing analogy. I know homeschoolers who use it as a safe place to store pictures of their school projects as a portfolio of sorts. In case the house burned down or the computer blew up or something.

Following is just something to do if you enjoy the same things they enjoy. It just gives you a ready pool of ideas for inspiration. Like if you were a photographer and wanted to see what other photographers were pinning and doing.

Latest posts