Planning new tea garden...

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I am going to take a shot at a couple of these, not necessarily in order:

greengenes said:
. . .I suppose i must have Russian tarragon, how do I get French?
thanks.
I am fairly sure that you had better NOT buy tarrogon seeds or you are liable to be growing more Russian tarragon, no matter what the seed packet says. Find the plants somewhere reputable.

greengenes said:
. . . can you substitute blackberry leaves for raspberry? . . .
I'm sure that it would taste different. You should give it a try to see if you like it. Raspberry leaves are very tasty in tea.

greengenes said:
I live in Florida, where contrary to what most people think, we can't grow everything. by the time it warms up enough to grow, our nights are too hot.
But I would love to grow some bergamot. . .
Wild bergamot flowers are used in tea by some folks. I bought the seed one year . . . the plants never bloomed.

Winter came and went and the wild bergamot survived. So, I took care of the plants and they failed to bloom in their 2nd year!! I don't know what happened to them after that - I wasn't pleased in the least, using the leaves. Had a "medicinal" taste :/. Probably better to grow Monarda didyma as Thistle' suggests.

But see, you live in Florida where there is a much longer season :p and you can grow everything! Right?(I understand that Wild bergamot [Monarda fistulosa] is a weed in many parts of the country and does just fine blooming on its own . . . :rolleyes:)

Steve
yup, as long as it is unwanted weeds, fire ants, and mildew. Winter has gotten harsh. very little 'over winters' anymore, and yet not enough chilling hours to grow anything. Summer is too hot at night to get flowers to set. I am probably the only person aging that wants to retire 'North"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was in Florida a couple times during Winter months.

In almost every way, Florida was wonderful :)! But, I'd be skeered to be that far south over the summer months.

. . . unless, it was at about 8,500 feet elevation ;).

Steve

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am in North Florida. South Fla has nice winters and cooler summers...but it is buried in people.

Strilets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
what about currant bushes?
I love add to tea several leave from it
try it also!!!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I gave up black tea for lent and now that its over I am make it permanant. I think a tea garden would be great. Thanks for all the ideas.

PS. I am sleeping like a baby now. It is great.

MommaHawk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm so excited after reading all this! My garden is pretty full this year, but that just means I have all summer to plan and research for next year. Thank you all for all the suggestions and the links to other posts.:D

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thread jacking here-- sorry!

I LOVE jasmine tea, but when I tried to get plants or seeds-- I read nothing but "make sure you're getting "real" jasmine plants, etc-- and never could figure out what it is I really need for true jasmine tea... Any suggestions? Or sources?

nittygrittydirtdigger said:
If you get the green tea plant, ya gotta get some jasmine to make jasmine tea. The aroma is heavenly and the flavor is mild and restorative.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was reading the other day that you can make tea from the petals and sepals of the hibiscus flower. I know the kind they sell as "jamaica flower tea" is from a special hibiscus that has red sepals and makes a pretty red tea. Does anyone know if that plant could be grown in my climate (or yours, Lesa)? I wonder if it would be something I could baby and bring into the sunroom for winter? The tea sounds lovely...I'm going to have to buy a bag just to try it! I tasted my hibiscus I already have, and it was tart and sweet, but not very potent...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did end up planting my tea garden- I couldn't find too many things that were "tea" like- so it is more like an herb garden! I did grow chamomile, spotted mint, lavender bergamot , lemon balm and maybe a couple others (that I can't think of right now.) Dh made me the garden bed- and I was sorely disappointed that it was so small- but none of these plants are growing very fast, so it worked out fine.
Journey, very interesting about the hibiscus- I have wintered over the regular type with limited success. They always seem to get bugs, in the winter.
I was very excited to see a jasmine plant, the other day. I had my hand on it- it didn't look very vibrant, but I figured, why not? Then I say the price for this tiny, pitiful looking plant was 29.00!!! I put it back!
I got a new computer- so now I have to figure out how to post pictures- and I'll put one up of the "tea" garden....

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa, I'd like to see your herb garden. My garden has turned out to be small too. I planted two sweet basil and one cinnamon basil and they have just about taken over the entire bed. I'm planning on putting in another one in the fall. I had no idea that the cinnamon would get so huge!