Planting cantaloupe & watermelon

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree. But is that THE variety? How does it taste?

Side question, is it crazy to like watermelons, honeydews (or green melons) and dislike cantaloupe?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Melon flavors bring back happy childhood memories for me :).

The warmer soil might help but my melons are in the windy, big veggie garden. Transplanted out while still very small, they are actually in a bit of a depression. They are in rows so that I can get the tiller through for a couple more weeks. I really should have lined them up so that I could till between the plants in 2 directions while they are small.

My garden soil requires no help in draining. Standing water, even in packed garden paths, is nearly an unknown.

Steve

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Agree. But is that THE variety? How does it taste?

Side question, is it crazy to like watermelons, honeydews (or green melons) and dislike cantaloupe?
Well, I LOVE cantaloupe, but don't like watermelon nor honeydew, which to me tastes a lot like watermelon. I remember reading once that most people who don't like watermelon, also dislike cucumbers. That is true for me, and most watermelon-haters I have questioned. Odd.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is interesting. I can eat cantaloupe, just prefer to not.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was able to get a friend to grow out a watermelon and an Indian melon called "sweetness". This way I am able to get the seeds from 4 different melons without the chance of cross pollination.