Planting grass seed

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
from my own experience with seeding grass you want to do it in the earlier fall so that the grass can get sprouted and established before winter sets in. the nice thing about fall seeding is that weed pressure is much less and so you will get a much nicer patch of grass from it. but if you don't really much care if there are some weeds in there (i never do for lawns - i just mow them down like the rest of the grass when needed).

as for the walnut tree issue English walnut trees do not produce as much juglone as Black walnut or Butternut trees, but i haven't seen an actual comparison ranking as to how much of a difference there is.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked for grass seed last month at Walmart and they did not have any. I probably should have looked other places, but decided to wait until spring. I started raking the leaves under the walnut trees and just plastered flat on the ground. It seems when you get a really cold night, you wake up the next morning and they have just all fell off the tree at once. I have tons of leaves on all the trees now trying to rake and got a little snow today.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Well, Me thinks you should wait for spring scratch and level the soil. spread your seed and cover with about two to three inches of steer manure, dampen and rolling the manure is a good idea,, keep it damp, your trees won't have leaves yet and the seed will sprout and reach for the sun, watch out for rabbits and other monkeys for a while ~ be generous with your seed ```

Are you going to keep this area with chairs and table ```

Latest posts