Planting in a boggy spot

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might consider waiting just 1 year to plant back there, and during that time, dig a small hole (maybe 18" deep) that you keep an eye on to see what the water table is doing.

(You might ought to fill the hole back in between looks, so's not to be drowning lots of critters; if you leave it open, prop a branchy log or something in the hole as a ladder for things that fall in)

That way you can SEE how long it's within, say, 4-6" of the surface. That's sort of where it becomes problematic. If standing water that shallow only exists sporadically, you're home free; if it persists for a while, you can see how MUCH of a while and choose plants for future years accordingly.

Just a thought, have fun,

Pat

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're totally right, Pat. As a wise man once said, "Patience, grasshopper!" :D I think I'm going to put my berries on the eastern side of the house. It's actually kinda southeast, and if I put them far enough out, they will get sun until about 5:00.

Since I have your ear (or eyes, as the case may be), what's a good groundcover for erosion control? The hill that slopes down into this boggy spot needs something better than grass on it to hold it in place. Is it possible that strawberries could hold dirt together? I need to plant something on it, and I was hoping for a plant I could use. If not, I'll put the strawberries with my other berries & plant something else on the hill.

Thanks for all your advice!!! :hugs

Latest posts