Planting Indoors

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@secuono, unless your house is particularly cool, you may be able to germinate the seeds that need warmth (tomato, pepper and eggplant) on top of the fridge or on a high shelf in a moderately warm room. Cover the pots or flats with saran wrap to keep moisture in. They only need extra light once they germinate.
@SprigOfTheLivingDead , can you suggest a bulb that offers 6000 color temp for a shop light fixture? Do you think a place like Lowes would carry them?
I have been getting by with just a mix of ordinary cool and warm white bulbs, but recognize a need for something else, for best growth.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@SprigOfTheLivingDead , can you suggest a bulb that offers 6000 color temp for a shop light fixture? Do you think a place like Lowes would carry them?
I have been getting by with just a mix of ordinary cool and warm white bulbs, but recognize a need for something else, for best growth.

Lowe's might have them, but they might just keep a few in stock. I really only have experience with Home Depot, and they're classically always out of stock when it comes to things of that specific nature. If I were you I'd do a search in your city for a hydroponics store and just go there. You might pay a premium, but the people there will know what you need for your setup. Aside from that I've bought them off of Amazon before (10pk of T5s for 50$). Make sure you're buying the right size though (T5, T8, T12...)

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to check what the bulbs are. I get the highest #, since it gives a nice, bright white and not yellow or dim light.
I use them for growing aquatic plants as well.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, NVM. The bulbs have no useful info printed on them...ugh.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nope, NVM. The bulbs have no useful info printed on them...ugh.

@secuono The size (T5, T12 , ...) describe their literal diameter. Just figure out the diameter of your current bulbs and buy accordingly. Here's the wiki article on the size.

You can buy different color temps in each of those sizes. So you have have a big T12 at 6000 or a small T5 at 6000.

Last edited:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i thought it was the lumens you looked for on the bulbs.

I get mixed up about the stuff but I think the lumens describes the brightness whereas the color temp describes the tone. I know they're also related (higher temp = higher lumens), but I think they can be independent as well.

Anyone smarter than me want to run this down for us?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, there isn't any chance of those bulbs touching the plastic bulbs and catching on fire? That's what I'm afraid of.

Mary

Latest posts