Planting Indoors

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi! I didn't know where to put this post but ill just put it here...This year I want to start plants inside and then move them outside when it's warm enough. I know right now is way too early but when do you usually start planting indoors? Also, where is a cheaper but good website to get seeds from? Thanks!! :D

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I start my plants about the 1st or 2nd week of Jan.
Last year I started them in early Dec but I ran out of room inside before it was warm enough to move them to my green house.

THANX RICH

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
depends when to start them @mydogdory what zone do you live in?
what are you wanting to start?
word of advice cheap is not always the best way to go on seeds...
lots of helpful members here.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks!! I would like to plant them outdoors on Mother's day and I am in zone 6a.. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does depend on some indoor factors like whether you have lights, good south windows, greenhouse ... if you will transplant to larger containers while still indoors, etc.

Johnny's Seed supposedly makes it easy. Their starting dates seem a little optimistic to me, however. You too will get a feel for these things in your own location @mydogdory . Timing is important so keep a journal of those early dates for a couple of years until you come up with your own calendar.

Here are Johnny's ideas: LINK.

You will need your last frost date. Start with your state and you can find your official Weather Service one here: LINK.

It's fun. You will have varieties you just can't find in your garden centers by choosing your own. Pinetree Seed has small packets at good prices and a good selection but they aren't the only ones.

Steve

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It does depend on some indoor factors like whether you have lights, good south windows, greenhouse ... if you will transplant to larger containers while still indoors, etc.

Johnny's Seed supposedly makes it easy. Their starting dates seem a little optimistic to me, however. You too will get a feel for these things in your own location @mydogdory . Timing is important so keep a journal of those early dates for a couple of years until you come up with your own calendar.

Here are Johnny's ideas: LINK.

You will need your last frost date. Start with your state and you can find your official Weather Service one here: LINK.

It's fun. You will have varieties you just can't find in your garden centers by choosing your own. Pinetree Seed has small packets at good prices and a good selection but they aren't the only ones.

Steve

Thanks! This helps a ton! I'm going to be doing my research tonight. I can't wait to start the seeds already lol :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

@digitS' has some good advice for you there. Before you begin be prepared. Get your environment setup. Are you using grow lights? Are you going to use a warming mat? Are you doing this on a windowsill or in a cabinet? Get all those things figured out. Also, make sure you have the space to let these guys grow a bit before you get them outside. It's terrible to seed and plant only to realize that you have nowhere to put them where they aren't so close to lights they'd get burned.

Also, be sure you have ventilation, you wouldn't want to not burn your seedlings only to have them die from a fungus.

So, make sure you have things planned out, and absolutely ask questions to those of us here who have done it a few times. I'm sure we all have pics of our setups to share if you need.

I'd suggest actually doing a practice run of some seeds just to make sure you have your process down. I've had to restart an entire run before, which meant I lost a few weeks of work

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you can't buy a warming mat for starting the seedlings on this would be the time of year to buy some X-mas lights while they are cheap and plentiful. or you can make a light table/box to use under the seed trays.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you can't buy a warming mat for starting the seedlings on this would be the time of year to buy some X-mas lights while they are cheap and plentiful. or you can make a light table/box to use under the seed trays.

Yes, what ChickiesMoma said. I use those little Christmas lights in a plastic sweater box, or an underbed box for starting my peppers. It keeps the soil at 75-80 degrees.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is how my plants are started, the first 2 images are my grow cabinet (sorry about the bad image but you'll get the idea)
The cabinet is in a large back room with these 2 tiers lit with 2 flor. bulbs on both levels.
The top tier isn't shown but it's not lit and is used for overflow.
The third pic is where the starts go once things warm up, after that its to the garden or 5 gal buckets on the deck.

THANX RICH

DSCF0690.JPG DSCF0689.JPG DSCF0682.JPG

Latest posts