Please Help My Lilac!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
These bushes are super hardy, and rarely need any special treatment. I would guess you have a bigger problem- as others have mentioned. I have planted lilacs in terrible soil, done nothing and enjoyed blooms a few years later. Do you have a cooperative extension near you, that you could ask? How about a picture of the plant, for us?

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

OK...I am in Zone 6b -5 to 0 Average Min. Temp. This area has Ponderosa Pine, Juniper and Pinyon Trees. Our last frost date is May 22. We did have two frosts right after the buds came out in April however on those nights I covered the plant with a large tarp so no frost actually got on the leaves or buds.

I don't see any moth or bug damage anywhere. The buds grow to a certain length and size and just don't fully develop or flower.

@Chickie'sMomaInNH I will take a look at the link you provided after I send this.

Thank you everyone for all your help! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love Lilac, I am with Lesa they are super tough. I have some my grandma planted over 60 years ago. They do get mildew like some one sprinkled white power on them. Lilac do sucker a lot ( new bushes) maybe yours is putting all the energy into suckering and not flowering. Maybe frost killing flower buds, while most are very cold hardly, you just might have bought one not suited to your zone. Unfortunately just because a plant is being sold in your zone , doesn't mean it will thrive or even live in zone sold. Some of my older ones only flower every other year. I would cut back or transplant most of the sucker, and buy another variety, you know would do good in your zone if you want flowers.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@Nyboy Maybe this is my problem....the plant IS suckering out. Each year it gets wider and wider! LOL I will get a picture soon here. Don't have on in the PC right now. So if it is putting too much energy into growing new shoots, it may not have any left for the flowers? What do I do about this? Do I trim it down now? Wait until fall? And how much do I cut off down there? I would have to go count them, but I would bet there are 20 stalks, older and new ones coming out of the ground. HELP!! :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have another thought. Perhaps this cultivar was sold locally but is not appropriate for your region. When you have a lilac that will not bloom it is good to trim back the roots or In general disturb the roots. Though that is not the problem it is a thought. What does your sub soil look like. Could there be some kind of fill on the lot that plants do not like? My MOms home was built on some kind of ash fill.

Latest posts