Please help ~~Strawberries??

Madfarner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You'll want at least 12" between rows in your bed, and 18" would be much better. The limit to bed width is how far you can reach to pick them, weed, etc. For your first crop, you'll want to pinch/cut off all the runners, to put strength in the mother plants. Now, you could grow strawberries as annuals, or, as long as you don't get diseases & pests, keep them going, let them put out runners late in the season, and root new plants to go on with.

Madfarmer

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is this 100 ft row for an every day supply or just that much to store because, I love strawberries but I don't think I would be eating them every day fresh. That sounds like an awful lot of berries.

Arklady

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How many plants would you recommend in an 8" x 4' bed that is about 16" deep.

Will horse manure that's been sitting for about 12 months be ok to help the dirt and what else should be added.

I read that strawberries stop producing after 2 years. Is that true and does it apply to the runners also.

How much water do they need. We are in Colorado at about 6500 ft
the beds have full sun exposure. Avg temp is about 85 between July and Sept and low humidity.

Thanks

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beak said:
I read that strawberries stop producing after 2 years. Is that true and does it apply to the runners also.
The runners are like brand new plants every year. If you remove the old plants and keep the runners every year your strawberries will produce forever.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Catalina said:
beak said:
The runners are like brand new plants every year. If you remove the old plants and keep the runners every year your strawberries will produce forever.
Thanks, what I read made it sound like you had to buy new plants every 2 years or so.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not tried in years to grow strawberries here. My last attempt I ordered Alpine strawberries, I got fruit, but it was SALTY!!

That was very early in my gardening, I might try again some day. Our native soil here fizzes when you add vinegar to it! It pegs the meter on the Alkaline side. It takes YEARS to get the soil in decent shape to grow much of anything.

I ought to try a Srawberry Pot!!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beak said:
Catalina said:
beak said:
Thanks, what I read made it sound like you had to buy new plants every 2 years or so.
That would be daunting, hey? I just planted my first batch last year, but a friend of mine has grown them for years. She told me to let the runners go, establishing new "beds" on either side of the original. When the original bed poops out, rototill it right down the center of the 2 new, spreading beds. Then, repeat (as in a couple years). Makes sense to me, but it would be a little weird if one had their original bed on a raised row.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I'm putting in my order at parkseed for their deal with the 2 hanging bags and the 25 bare root strawberry plants. I'm going to try not to give any yard space to them. They'll be hanging on my deck rather then in the ground. I'll let you guys know how these do. I only want some to snack on and maybe bake some of my bread which only takes 2 cups sliced strawberries.

It should be enough for a family of 3.