Please identify this......garden overgrown with it

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about the roots.

It is a woodland plant here and can be left to itself. Once it blooms, I don't want to be anywhere nearby.

:sick

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sure looks like Skunk Cabbage to me but personally I have never wandered close enough to have a good look. Many moons ago it has been said it to be a prized garden plant in England.
One of our most admired garden mentors said when he first immigrated here from England and saw his first stand of skunk cabbage he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. We almost fell over laughing and so did he.
http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/S/SkunkCabbage(American)/SkunkCabbage(American).htm
Cover over in plastic and wait a few months before removing is said to be one way of getting rid of it, another way is putting on gloves and cut the stems and immediately paint the cut end with roundup.
Gloves on, pull and dig but be very careful of where you dispose of it, this is how it was so spread around over there. I believe it's on your invasive list and yes it is poisonous and can give skin irritations.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure looks like Skunk Cabbage to me but personally I have never wandered close enough to have a good look. Many moons ago it has been said it to be a prized garden plant in England.
One of our most admired garden mentors said when he first immigrated here from England and saw his first stand of skunk cabbage he thought he'd died and gone to heaven. We almost fell over laughing and so did he.
http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/S/SkunkCabbage(American)/SkunkCabbage(American).htm
Cover over in plastic and wait a few months before removing is said to be one way of getting rid of it, another way is putting on gloves and cut the stems and immediately paint the cut end with roundup.
Gloves on, pull and dig but be very careful of where you dispose of it, this is how it was so spread around over there. I believe it's on your invasive list and yes it is poisonous and can give skin irritations.

Annette

hmm, sounds counter productive to me when using glyphosate...

if you really want to get rid of it, make sure to get as much of the herbicide on the leaves as possible as it works via being absorbed and then sent to the roots. cutting off the leaves defeats that purpose.

also some people make the mistake of applying glyphosate when the plants aren't actively growing and so they think it doesn't work very well as it should.

that all said it also may take more than one application.

Latest posts