Plenty of Flowers But no Beans

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In answer to the original post, if flowers are being produced, nitrogen is not an issue. Too much N usually results in a "lots of leaves, but no flowers" problem. I too think it is a question of too much heat, too little water, or a combination of the two. I'm actually surprised to hear that Fortex is doing better under the same conditions, since it is not known for its heat tolerance.

@so lucky , could you give us an update? Hopefully the weather has cooled a little, have the beans begun setting pods yet?
Probably two days after I complained about beans not setting, I discovered tiny 1/4" beans sticking out of the ends of some stems. They continued to produce, and outpaced the Fortex. The Fortex bean plants themselves seemed to fade and turn brown pretty quickly. By now, they are hardly producing. But then, the Blue Lake have slowed down mightily, as well.
That one and only area where the Blue Lake were planted was a little lower and held water longer.
I think each variety has their advantages. Maybe I will just plant each next year and wait for them to shine in their own way. (I'm feeling very Zen this morning.)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ironically, try REplanting. I watched a video, 20 vegetables to plant in the Fall, and beans were one of the top listed.
Btw, This gardener lives in Michigan, maybe 2 zones colder than You.
20 Crops You Can Still Grow In August
1)Beets--Detroit Red
2)Beans
3)Cabbage
4)Kale
5)Swiss Chard
6)Broccoli
7)Zuchinni
8)Cucumbers--Pickling
9)Bunching onions
10)Carrots
11)Rutebega
12)Turnips
13)Peas
14)Radishes (September)
15)Spinach (September)
16)Lettuce (September)
17)Kohlrabi
18)Dill
19)Purslane
20)Amaranth

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Much research says that it's worth a try. You probably either have a few seeds left that you didn't plant, or know where to find some beans seeds to experiment with. I have 3 local stores that are still carrying some seeds.
According to the Farmer's Almanac we are to expect a warmer than average October this year. You are probably in zone 6/7 and won't get a frost until November, anyway.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be glad you don't have an apple tree. I just chased a herd of 5 away from mine. It's not that I mind them eating the fallen apples... I just don't want them to get in the habit of coming to my yard for dinner, and eating everything that's not fenced while there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be glad you don't have an apple tree. I just chased a herd of 5 away from mine. It's not that I mind them eating the fallen apples... I just don't want them to get in the habit of coming to my yard for dinner, and eating everything that's not fenced while there.
My horses have their Own GD apple tree, and I don't think they share with the deer.