Pond Plant ID Help

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I know size varies but duckweed doesn't have stems.
I bow to your superior duckweed knowledge since we only had a pond for about 2 years before it turned into a slimy doggie swimming pool and had to be removed. :lol: It's possible that what I thought was duckweed was something else all together or that I remember the plants incorrectly.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
There are about a half dozen species of duck weed. I'm not sure if any of them have stems but some are much larger than apple seeds.
The largest-leaved North American Lemna that I know of (i.e, there could be some newly-escaped exotic species) has leaves about 1/4"-1/3" inch long... except for one weird species with sort of plus-sign or strap-shaped leaves which can be a bit longer but you wouldn't generally look at it and think it was a duckweed anyhow.

Things with bigger leaves are not duckweed (Lemna). There may be other plants that are locally referred to as duckweed of course, who knows.

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with Pat, it is really hard to tell with such small plants, but I will wager a guess . . . I think the second plant could be duck potato (wapato), and I also think the last one looks a lot like some sort of primrose. No idea about the other two . . . duck sprouts???? ;) Good luck.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I agree with Pat, it is really hard to tell with such small plants, but I will wager a guess . . . I think the second plant could be duck potato (wapato), and I also think the last one looks a lot like some sort of primrose. No idea about the other two . . . duck sprouts???? ;) Good luck.
I think "duck sprouts" is good. Anything we can't identify in a pond is now "Duck Sprout"! :gig

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL

Duck Sprouts it is. Or Duck Salad. Lana sure thinks so anyway. I don't even know if the other two ducks even got any she tore in to it so fast! That girl is an eating MACHINE!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SO these plants will be easier to identify when they get older. Suggestions on keeping them alive in a fish bowl until then? Should I hook up an aerator stone with a cheap aquarium pump?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My guess is they'll be fine in stagnant water. If it were me, I'd just get a large container of the pond water and keep them in that (outside, but protected from any hard freezes and from duckies!).

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
LOL

Duck Sprouts it is. Or Duck Salad. Lana sure thinks so anyway. I don't even know if the other two ducks even got any she tore in to it so fast! That girl is an eating MACHINE!
YUM, Duck Salad sounds great. I'll bet we could sell it to all those fancy restaurants that sell "microgreens". lol

Latest posts