Pond Plant ID Help

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
SO these plants will be easier to identify when they get older. Suggestions on keeping them alive in a fish bowl until then? Should I hook up an aerator stone with a cheap aquarium pump?
Personally I'd suggest just sticking 'em back where they came from, outside in the pond. They'll likely do better there - actual soil for their roots, nice cold temperatures (many aquatic plants have a poor sense of humor about markedly warm temperatures out of season), etc etc. You can mark them with stakes or whatever to keep an eye on them.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, for now I put some of them in the top portion of my water feature out of the reach of the ducks. They are not submerged though, just in the pea gravel. I still have some in the house in a fish tank. We will see which one keeps going.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
based on the photos on this site...
http://www.lakefrontinc.com/plants.html

I think I am going to have to eliminate Pickerel weed and duck potato as candidates. I have never seen anything like these. I am pretty sure I would have remembered them from my walks.

I don't think the top 3 plants poke much out of the water if my memory is working right.

The bottom one (the suspected primrose) does get pretty big though (diner plate sized) and there are even some several feet away from the water.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few more pieces to the puzzle...

The plants I put in the water feature (2 and 4) had much different outcomes for the day. Plant #4 is doing great in the wet pea gravel. 2 samples of plant #2 look worse for the wear. One was right under a spray of water and didn't look too bad...the other one looked mostly dead. This plant appears to be one that needs to be totally in the water.

The #2 plants inside in the goldfish tank are fine.

Leaves from plant #1 when crushed have no smell.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Agreed #4 not teasel. I looked at my one year plants and they had a more ruffled leaf, although very similar. They also have one main white taproot with root hairs.
I know I have seen that plant and it's driving me bonkers trying to recall what it is. All my botanical texts are packed in storage.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought I'd be smart and go to the "Pro". My step son has a masters degree in landscape architecture and has always loved ponds so I sent him the pics. His reply was. "Too hard to tell with plants that small." lol

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL

OK...I will do my darndest to keep some alive :D

Latest pic of the pond
1002513.jpg

I bought a few more primroses to keep my wild one company.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How are the mysterious plants doing?
Any closer to an ID?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, since I built the pond, we had 6 separate snow storms :p

One was positively identified as primrose.

The light green ones with the longer leaves lived and it still looks exactly the same. The other stuff (little rounder leaves) froze.

Latest posts