Poppies?

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, now that I'm sure I have a flower bed full of weeds sprouting rather than petunias, I've hoed out my beds and am trying to decide what to plant. I'm an extremely busy nursing student, wife and mom of 3 littles, and graduation is in MAY! Hooray! With that being said, I was thinking of sowing seeds in my beds and pretty much ignoring them until after graduation. I'm thinking poppies? Gosh,they are just so pretty to me! I have zero experience with these, but I've heard they're easy growers and thrive in sandy, rocky, poor soil which is exactly what I have. They get 6-7 hours of sunlight a day.. I need something I can use and abuse so to speak! lol! Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!! :hugs

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I second the CA poppies, you could also toss some alyssum seed in there, as well as marigolds and zinnias. Oh! and cosmos...

Are those rust resistant? I planted zinnas one year, we had a rainy spell and rust got them.. That's the thing about Alabama...It may be as dry as a desert or as wet as a rainforest. One thing for certain, it is ALWAYS extremely hot and humid! lol :somad

Oh, and one more question.. A seller told me that 5,000 california poppy seeds only covers 100 sq ft. Does that sound right?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are those rust resistant? I planted zinnas one year, we had a rainy spell and rust got them.. That's the thing about Alabama...It may be as dry as a desert or as wet as a rainforest. One thing for certain, it is ALWAYS extremely hot and humid! lol :somad

Oh, and one more question.. A seller told me that 5,000 california poppy
seeds only covers 100 sq ft. Does that sound right?

Zinnias are probably not a good fit for your climate then, they are susceptible to powdery mildew here.
And that sounds right for CA poppies. Their seeds are minute. I'm sure you can buy them in bulk though.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe a wildflower mix would be nice for this year?
Here's a link to American Meadows. I've never done business with them, but you could have a look at what they offer. Maybe try a few of the flowers they
list in their mixes and buy a few packets to sow.

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I ordered 20,000 Mission Bell seeds, which is enough to cover app 200 square feet. I decided to sow them in my rock garden area as well. It was a little confusing figuring out exactly what I need because every website sells them by different seed count, weight, etc.. Thanks for all the advice! :fl

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Poppies just arrived! Eeeek! So excited! Praying they'll grow in my zone (7/8)
1455903499485.jpg

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Quick question.. I'm reading conflicting articles on when these can be planted.. If I sow them now, will the frost kill them? I've read to sow in early Winter, late Winter or after the danger of frost. uhhhhhh...:caf:hu

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
KD_Olive, California Poppies as well as others should grow well where you are, the climate of Alabama being what I've heard and expect.
Nursing student, great you'll love it. I enjoyed, the little I've done in that field, some people are made for it. Good for you, keep us informed.

Richard

Latest posts