Poppies?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would not sow them in the garden bed at this time. What I would probably do is winter sow them in containers. Put the containers in a shady spot so they don't germinate too soon and let nature take its course. Once they have sprouted, you can be sure the sunny spot you want to plant them in is the right temperature for transplanting. But then, I live in zone 5.

Once the poppies are established, they will have no problem growing and reproducing where you live.

On the other hand. . . Seeds from the poppies (you didn't have, but could have) last fall would have fallen in the garden bed. They would be laying there waiting for the perfect time to germinate and start growing this spring. What's the difference between winter sowing in containers or scattering the seed where you want it to grow? Not much in your zone.

If you scatter the seed, you will have more seedlings in some places than in others and the poppies (oriental) that I've grown don't take transplanting very well. If you enjoy thinning, go for it and sow them now.

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got poppies but they are pink and some are the mop head. Not Calif. poppies.
It is to late to plant the seed now for the ones I have. They need to be seeded in the fall so the will come up in the spring. I'm in zone 6b
Not sure about Calif. poppies except like one other poster said once you have them they will reseed.

Just try doing what you seed pkg. says.
Good luck and keep us posted!!

Thank you for becoming a nurse. We need good ones.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love poppies, myself. The stand of oriental poppies I had died out years ago and I haven't gotten around to planting them again. They are such a cheerful sign of spring!

California poppies are not hardy here in South-est, central-est Wisconsin, although I've had them grow in annual mixes.

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys! I've always been fascinated with poppies since I watched The Wizard of Oz as a little girl. They're just so beautiful and happy! I'm gonna go ahead and sow them tomorrow, as I think i'll have more time for thinning than transplanting this Spring. And on a side note, it's extremely rare for the ground to freeze here. We get frost often, but the ground almost never gets "crunchy" frozen. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress! Thanks so much, I'm loving this forum! :hugs

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its a gorgeous, sunny day here in Bama! I took a break from my studies and got two of my beds sown.. A little sun is so good for my soul! :weee I'm a little worried about the summer humidity but hopefully they will do fine...

Latest posts