Potted Perennials

mayberrysaint

Sprout
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of perennials on clearance and it may be several weeks before I can get them in the ground...mid-November (NW North Carolina). Will that be too late to plant them? Should I repot them in better soil and over-winter and then plant in the Spring? If I re-pot them, should I keep them in the garage during freezing weather?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they look pot-bound, yes you might consider re-potting them and keeping them in an unheated building (garage would be great).

Do you guys get stretches of mild weather in the winter? If so, then when you have time to plant them and you have a stretch of mild weather, do it then. But don't wait too long. Otherwise keep them in the garage and make sure they get some light (either sun exposure regularly or full-spectrum shoplights).

Good luck with your new perennials!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends what perennials they are. If they're pretty hardy for your zone and conditions, and hardy in general i.e. not prone to root or crown rot, then you can go ahead and plant them whenever you get a chance. Water them in moderately, and give them some protection from wind, excessive sun, and excessive freezing.

The other best option would probably be to leave them in the pots, in a sheltered nonsunny nonwet place outdoors, with stuff heaped up around the pots (spare garden dirt, compost, even leaves if that's all you've got) so that the pots are buried up to the rim but *on top of* the soil surface. (If you sink the pots in the ground you will get more protection vs freezing but you'd better have REALLY well drained soil if you want to avoid root rot). Watch out for rodents, which I've had a problem with once or twice in this arrangement (living amongst fluffy dry compost piled up around the pots). There needs to be a windbreak on the upwind side.

The hazards of keeping them in the garage are a) it will take careful ongoing monitoring to prevent them from drying out and dying; b) I've had problmes with mice eating plants to death in that situation; and c) if they start back into growth without your noticing, the low-light environment will very quickly turn them into sickly spindly pale things that've sapped their roots of most their energy and won't grow well even if put outside promptly.

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would heel them into a spot in the veggie garden, mulch them once the soil freezes, and replant them in their permanent location in the spring. Be sure they're watered until the ground freezes. I do this all the time around here and have great success with it.

mayberrysaint

Sprout
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I would heel them into a spot in the veggie garden, mulch them once the soil freezes, and replant them in their permanent location in the spring. Be sure they're watered until the ground freezes. I do this all the time around here and have great success with it.
Ann,

What is "heeling" them in mean?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just dig a hole and put the rootball in place. The plants will be much better off with their roots protected by soil and mulch. You could even leave the plants in the pots, and sink the pots, but be careful to keep them well watered if you choose this method. I've done things both ways, and really prefer to take them out for overwintering. Don't worry about augmenting the soil or anything, the plant won't put many roots out anyways (unless it's mint, in which case you need to heel it into cement to keep it contained!! :gig )

mayberrysaint

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I am going to get them in the ground this week.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted a few tiny tree spouts in the spring, and the advice they gave me is for something so timid or a very late season plant (like yours) cut the bottom out of the pot and plant in wet soil. Keep it watered regularly... or at end of season until the frost comes. We're in a milder climate in NC, so I've even planted a few perennials in the last couple of weeks. They're doing great. Good luck!

mayberrysaint

Sprout
Reaction score
I got them all in the ground and they seem to be doing OK.

Now that we have had a severe frost (teens last night)...is it still necessary to water them regularly? Some of the plants look a bit wilted.

Andy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
no don't water. The frost has ended their season.... they should come back again in the spring.

Latest posts