PotterWatch garden 2014

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I want to uncover the raised beds that go around either side of the greenhouse, clean them out and put some good compost in there. I was thinking of making one side my strawberry bed and the other my asparagus bed. Anyone have any good tips for that? I believe the wood used for those beds is treated. Should I nix the idea of using those beds for edible stuff because of that? I've not grown asparagus before because I knew I wouldn't be gardening in the same location long enough to harvest. Would it go better elsewhere?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was eyeing those beds around the outside of your greenhouse, and wondering what i would plant there!! :D

I was thinking about filling them with flowers. But i think strawberries and asparagus would be okay. The possibility of the wood being treated probably wouldnt stop me from planting those things closer to the greenhouse, those beds are pretty big - i think it would be okay to edge the beds in some kind of flowers and put the veg inside.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did some reading up on treated lumber
but it was long enough ago that I don't remember the details. What I do remember is that as the lumber ages the preservative dissipates.

The preservative method and ingredients have changed over the years also, so when yours were built would make a difference.
Some people have lined their beds with different things to keep the preservatives from leaching into the beds soil.

I think with just a bit of research you can resolve any problems you may have with planting in them.

I love your greenhouse, but your barn is even better!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with you on the barn, lol. As much as I love growing veggies, I love my goats more and it's great to have a nice barn for them. We have two barns on the property but we are only using one right now.

This is our big barn that we are using.
DSCN4239_zps2cdf744a.jpg

Inside the big barn.
DSCN4241_zps8200aecf.jpg

This is looking out the back door of the big barn towards our smaller, tobacco barn.
85C7E418-B081-4ABA-B43B-429B8444FE2D_zpslyaib06g.jpg

This is the tobacco barn again sometime last month.
19DD6CE8-C311-405B-8E50-FAD8CF02789F_zpsmwqrrsfx.jpg

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My current does are a 3/4 lamancha, 1/4 saanen named Rosie, two lamancha/Nubian/saanen does named Zipper and Hopper, and a 9 week old lamancha buckling named Rufus. I've always had lamancha or mini manchas before. They are my favorite goats. Harder to find them in my current area though.

image.jpg

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So jealous of the of the barn. ;) It is gorgeous. I adore the pyre to :love