PotterWatch garden 2014

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a pretty view you have too. Those barns look like postcard pictures. I'd think you were in WV with those tree covered rolling hills in the background.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is such a beautiful, peaceful looking place Potter. How big is it? Do you have chickens? How big of a garden will you plant this spring?

Btw, you have to change your location in your avatar.

Mary

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a spot that still had my old location. I am now in south-central Virginia. Our property is 112 acres total. We have about 60-70 acres of forest and the rest is pasture, buildings, and a pond.

I am going to have a few different garden spaces. One is an in-ground space that is maybe 40x75, another will be made up of raised beds, if I can manage to build them in time. It will have about 15, 3x6 beds. It might have room for more but I don't have it planned out exactly yet. If I don't get the raised beds in this year, that space will be in-ground also. I think my biggest challenge will be keeping out the deer and rabbits.

We have a dozen egg layers right now along with some guineas. I have some meat chicks, turkey poults, and ducklings on order. We used to raise meat chickens as part of our business, but we've decided only to raise them for our personal use on this farm. Once we have our fencing finished, we will be raising sheep, pigs, and goats. The sheep and pigs will be for meat sales and the goats for milk for our own consumption and soap.

Last edited:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow- Potterwatch that sounds like a real slice of heaven! Can't wait to hear about your adventures...

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a spot that still had my old location. I am now in south-central Virginia. Our property is 112 acres total. We have about 60-70 acres of forest and the rest is pasture, buildings, and a pond.

I am going to have a few different garden spaces. One is an in-ground space that is maybe 30x40, another will be made up of raised beds, if I can manage to build them in time. It will have about 15, 3x6 beds. It might have room for more but I don't have it planned out exactly yet. If I don't get the raised beds in this year, that space will be in-ground also. I think my biggest challenge will be keeping out the deer and rabbits.

We have a dozen egg layers right now along with some guineas. I have some meat chicks, turkey poults, and ducklings on order. We used to raise meat chickens as part of our business, but we've decided only to raise them for our personal use on this farm. Once we have our fencing finished, we will be raising sheep, pigs, and goats. The sheep and pigs will be for meat sales and the goats for milk for our own consumption and soap.
This sounds like a dream! Do you make goat cheese?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have in the past but most of my family doesn't care for goat cheese. Most of our milk is consumed as is and some is made into yogurt. My husband wants us to get a dairy cow as he doesn't like goat milk all that much. I told him that I'm not doing that much milking again unless I have a good machine. I don't want to spend my time hand milking again but I would love to have raw cow milk to make cheese and butter again.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

:lol: Well, THAT explains why it looks so much like WV. I missed the bit about your move. I used to live in Blacksburg, VA. Beautiful area. I absolutely loved being surrounded by all that National Forest land. Welcome to the east coast then! ;)

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a couple flats with some spinach and lettuces yesterday. I'm so tired of the poor quality produce available in the local grocery store. I'm going to harvest those flats for baby spinach and lettuce so we at least have something decent to eat until the rest of my veggies start producing.

I need to get some more soil and pots today. I need to transplant most of my beans and peas and get some more peppers started. I also still need to get the beds around my greenhouse cleaned out and get my asparagus planted. After reading the thread about asparagus beds, I am going to use both beds for asparagus instead of making one a strawberry bed. We love asparagus so I don't want to have too little once we start harvesting.

We should also have some turkey poults arriving today and we have to get them settled in the brooder area of our chicken coop that we set up yesterday. We moved a roosting bar and nest boxes and will brood the turkeys along one side of the coop. They will be inside a chicken wire area to keep them safe from the hens and our rooster, Albus.

It just needs the wire put along the front and some fresh shavings.
image.jpg

Latest posts