Power is Out & Cold on the Way

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well that was odd. I replied to the most recent post, which was supposed to be a few pages back, and then the next couple pages of comments came up?
297.gif
Sometimes I think I am at the last comment, but there is a little note at the bottom below the comment that says "5 more comments" or how ever many there are. Lots of times I don't see it till I have already posted a reply.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my 'new to me' generator yesterday. :clap Today I'm going to set it up on the little trailer so I can move it with the lawn mower. Hopefully there will be room for the air compressor too, that will make fence repairs SO MUCH easier if I can run the compressor that runs the air-hammer-gun-thingy. I think I might try to figure out some sort of tarp/pvc covered wagon looking setup for it so if/when we have power out I can park it next to the meter box/cutoff switch and not worry about it getting rained on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see you out there in your covered wagon, Cane'. Gee-up!

DD has a wind-up flash light that she left here - I like it! Let's see, you could use a stationary bicycle to power your generator, Cane' . . . . No?

We used to get in trouble using power equipment (the pickup) to stretch fence wire. I can still remember that "POW!" Oops . . .

I have wondered about a stationary bicycle tho'. See, I don't figure I could use one anymore but if'n I had some volunteer . . . no, what I've thought of is as a cultivation tool. Yeah. Those high & low wheel cultivators that you walk behind and push -- What about stationing your bicycle at the edge of the garden with a good anchor & stout rope to the cultivator?

Steve
drifting hopelessly off-topic but, ya know, weather is just a conversation ice-breaker anywho . . .

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, just a tip ... when you go shopping for a tarp, get one that is solid, heavy plastic rather the braided type as very soon it will leak between the weave and your equipment will start to rust.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Thistle! The whole TEG gang has been an inspiration!!

The first couple of years after my DH passed I just sat around and let the place fall down around me. But after a good, loving kick in the butt from some neighbors and family, I realized that learning how to take care of this place - and how to make the most of what I've still got - is a wonderful way to honor him.
This is generator #2. The really nice one that we bought when we first moved out here sat unused for 3 years... and now doesn't 'make electricity' anymore. Lesson learned... you have to actually USE the things to keep them working.

..... hummm.... that actually applies to a lot of things....

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like your attitude, canesisters!
I wouldn't have a clue,... I've never even driven the tractor. My sister lost her DH last summer. She's fairly independent, but it takes so long to rebound from such an event.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We did not lose power last night. Unlike the heavy wet snow predicted, we got a foot of fluffy white powder!
I took some grainy IPad photos:
Hoop coop and hoop houses turned to giant marshmallows
image.jpg

Chicken "jail" (rooster grow-out pen), with old ski tracks barely visible.
image.jpg

Other chicken coop and run. This used to be our house! Chickens only have the bottom floor.
image.jpg

Guess I'd better get the shovel!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have fun with Devils Lake North Dakota but I've learned that I should sympathize. You see, I play this game that my location is in competition with Devils Lake for summer warmth. We run neck'n'neck every year but, oh my, it is cold in the North Dakota winters!

Devils Lake is 0°f this morning, having warmed up because of a few clouds. Yesterday, it was double digitS' below zero. Tomorrow morning -25° predicted with an unbelievable wind chill of 47° below zero
shock.gif
!

I'd much rather compete with Devils Lake thru the summer than winter . . .

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same question as so lucky. The small one sure seems tiny to live in but the big one sure looks big for chickens! :)

Mary

Latest posts