Power is Out & Cold on the Way

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
noaa.gif

When I first became aware of the world, I was living in "the garage house." I never saw a garage door open & the memories don't include a closed one, but that was what we called it. Concrete floor & tarpaper siding.

Of course, that was in sunny California. Dad was working on Grandma's new house on the other side of the gardens. About 18 months later, I was a part of this relentless migration north!

Precipitation forecast above - should update.

Steve

Last edited:

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The little (plastic covered) area is the chicken run. Walls are made of hardware cloth. The shingled building was our house (now chicken coop). I think the coop is about 12 x 13. There are 32 chickens in there.

The building footprint is more like 12 x 16, but we walled off an area for feed and other supplies. The only access to upstairs is a vertical ladder. It was built as a place to live while building a more traditional house (with running water and a bathroom!).

While this was a nice, fluffy snowstorm, it was quite a chore clearing it all off of the hoop coop and hoop houses. In fact, I found myself wondering how I ended up here and if there might be some extra room in baymule's town. But now the chores are done and the sun came out (albeit with a cold wind).

The other chicken flock gets a wonderful solar gain (as long as I keep up with snow-clearing chores). It was 50 degrees in there at noontime:
image.jpg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Halleluhah! Someone who has more snow than me!! :weee

Sorry Buckabucka! Those pictures are great. I think the same thing sometimes in the winter "how did i end up here??" now its been..., um, wow, 14 years, hard to imagine moving. :/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miserable here, but no power issues, yet. Looks like our high temp on Friday is 0, during the day and 13 below at night. Well, at least the days are getting longer....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know,

I was thinking just yesterday that the days do seem a little longer!

However, I was up at 3 this morning and it was still a long wait for daylight . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That map above makes it look like some TEG members have had some snow today.

I'll tell ya what -- our weather has been soooo boring for about 3 or 4 months! I really do think that there is still a little bit of snow out there from before early December's subzero weather. We have had so little to add to it even tho' there's been some thawing - not enuf to get rid of that tiny bit of snow. Thankfully, no more subzeros but also so few storms! Boring!

Not only are others having snow today but look at what the WS thinks will be the total over the next 5 days along the East Coast! (Sorry Marshall, I think they've changed their minds about California rain.)

Steve
should update but all the drama will be over by about the 7th or 8th:
p120i.gif

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're only going to get lightly clipped by this next snow. It's the temperatures that are making everyone grouchy. 25 below last night, threatening 30 below tonight (we haven't had that in quite a few years), and high of 1 degree tomorrow. Our incoming water line was frozen this morning. We got it going with the help of some heat tape, and we are ecstatic about that, but there is a serious grouchy rumbling just beneath the surface.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, how I would love boring weather in south-est, central-est Wisconsin!

We had another 4 inches (give or take) of snow today along with wind on top of ice from the drizzle of a few days ago. As the snow clouds clear later tonight, the temperatures will plummet into negative numbers. I had to turn the heat light in the chicken coop as the water was frozen despite having a heated waterer.

My fear is we will have an electrical outage and the chickens, used to the added heat, will really have problems. Especially as two or three are still coming out of molt.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a terrible thing to whine about not getting enough snow, but there ya go....I'm whinin'!

I'm not asking for ice storms or single digitS ( HA! sorry Steve) or even below zero temps. Just a little snow for crying out loud!

I got a new pair of snowshoes for Christmas and I'm dying to give them a workout. Dh suggested I walk around on the one inch of snow on the lawn, but it's just not the same somehow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're only going to get lightly clipped by this next snow. It's the temperatures that are making everyone grouchy. 25 below last night, threatening 30 below tonight (we haven't had that in quite a few years), and high of 1 degree tomorrow. Our incoming water line was frozen this morning. We got it going with the help of some heat tape, and we are ecstatic about that, but there is a serious grouchy rumbling just beneath the surface.
That would be tough!

I didn't want to read about that oil fire in N Dakota. Devils Lake had 40 below wind chill! I don't know what community was evacuated but imagine, having to leave your house on a night like that!

Steve

Latest posts