1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

pretty little weed

Discussion in 'What Am I? Plant Identification' started by canesisters, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jun 11, 2018
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

I may as well leave it be. It's in a bed that is nothing but things that folks have told me I would regret letting into my yard. What's one more? And this one is pretty.

2. Jun 11, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I went thru this:

Virginia Tech Weed Index

Got off on the horsetail that borders one corner of my garden but made it thru A to Z without something more like your weed jumping out at me. One thing that I may be learning about myself, besides not wanting to think about weeds for 6 months out of the year, is that I recognize names better than plants. Weird ... eh?

STeve

flowerbug likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2018
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

White goose neck loosestrife is quite often seen in perennial gardens, it can get rambunctious tho. I used to grow a couple of the sterile varieties of purple loosestrife but pulled them and let them dry up before disposing when I found out that they could produce pollen and seed. Such a pretty plant but so dangerous.

Annette

flowerbug, thistlebloom and Nyboy like this.
  4. Jun 11, 2018
    aftermidnight

This made me smile my garden is full of rambunctious plants, they crowd out the weeds:).

Annette

flowerbug, Nyboy and canesisters like this.
  5. Jun 11, 2018
    aftermidnight

...an example.... DSCN5331.JPG
    I let them do their thing and pull where I don't want them. My garden is like me unruly at the best of times ;).

Annette

Zeedman, pjn, flowerbug and 6 others like this.
  6. Jun 12, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Annette, that is one gorgeous garden!!!! Much perennial envy going on here.....

Nyboy, canesisters and flowerbug like this.
  7. Jun 12, 2018
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

I have Gooseneck Loosestrife in my garden. It's been very polite and has stayed in the same spot for at least 10 years.

flowerbug and Collector like this.
  8. Jun 12, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

i *heart* gardens like that. :) i have my own chaos gardens, Mom hates them because they are often not very tidy looking, but my philosophy is that they are the absolute last priority for weeding because the other more formal gardens get first dibs on my time (the gardens inside the fence vs. gardens outside the fence). i have three rather large areas and right now i've not touched them much since last fall and they do look very messy right now, but that's just the way it is.

today we'll get some work done on the nearest garden where i plant my overflow/bonus/maybe won't make it beans (because they are outside the fence).

i just like that they have flowers of various kinds and a weed growing in a spot that doesn't have some other plant means at least that the space is being productive and using the energy from the sun, plus the weed is also shading and protecting the soil from the wind/rain/sun. later on when i get a chance all those weeds become worm food. i have strawberries i'm trying to get established in all these spaces and so when weeding i have to always make sure to not pull them up.

i gotta get too it though this week at least in some spots i have thistles starting to flower... i love the flowers but those seeds go flying everywhere...

aftermidnight likes this.